1981 Honda Express Bystarter Chamber Element?

Hi , I am new to Moped Army and totally new to working on my 1981 Honda Express. In the manual they mention cleaning the BYSTARTER Chamber Element which appears to be filter from what i can tell in the manual based on instructions on how to clean it. However i discovered that my Honda is somehow missing this "BYSTARTER ELEMENT"

I researched to see if i could buy this "ELEMENT" but can't find it online.

Can anyone tell me where i could find one, or if i can make one out of air filter material? I assume i need one

Thanks

Re: 1981 Honda Express Bystarter Chamber Element?

is it an express, express 2 (NC50), urban express (NU50 - little funny chopper wannabe) or express SR (NX50 - tiny scooter with legshields)?

To me, bystarter is what they called the autochoke, which was only on the NU and NX. if you have an NC50 express, you probably don't have it and the manual is referring to the ones on the other expresses that did.

it's basically an autochoke that dumps some excess fuel for cold starts. But sometimes they fail anyways and folks just remove the hoses and plug them at the carb anyway. so even if you did have it you don't really need it, especially if you've got a functional choke on the carb or can choke it by hand.

Kevin Manion /

Thanks for the reply. My 1981 Express does have the auto choke , i double checked. I did read about simply removing and bypassing the auto choke but thought i would try and repair back to original factory spec before going another directions. Do you think the bystarter chamber element is simply air filter material that i can buy at AutoZone and modify to work for now? Thanks

Just FYI: NC50 is Express, NA 50 is Express II. My 1981 NA50 had auto choke and factory electronic ignition.

> Kevin Manion Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> the bystarter chamber element is simply air filter material

I'd just find some open cell foam and cut to fit . Cheap little foam sponge .

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Kevin Manion Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > the bystarter chamber element is simply air filter material

>

> I'd just find some open cell foam and cut to fit . Cheap little foam

> sponge .

I traded my na50 off last year, but if I recall, the element was like you suggest. Black, open-cell foam, it looked like koi pond filter material.

Kevin Manion /

thanks for the clarification between the NC50 and NA50, as well as the material for the bystarter chanmber.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account