Sachs flywheel

Is the O.D. of a Sachs 505 flywheel 360mm?

I’m looking to set the timing after installing new stator. I’ve marked TDC and need to set the advance. Thanks

Re: Sachs flywheel

> Tim Doll Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is the O.D. of a Sachs 505 flywheel 360mm?

>

> I’m looking to set the timing after installing new stator. I’ve marked

> TDC and need to set the advance. Thanks

Have you measured it ?

The stamped on the flywheel lines up perfectly with TDC ,the M on the flywheel is 26degrees advanced . The Sachs manual says it should be 2.5 - 3.0.If I’m thinking right that equaits to 25-30 degrees. ,is this when the points should start to open or be fully open ? I’m new at this so please point me in the right direction. Thanks.those figures are in mm.

the 505 is, yep. it's quite handy cuz 1mm circumference is 1 degree. you want the M to be when they very barely first start to open, almost impossible to see by eye. should be fully open by the TDC "0" mark, but that's less critical.

i've never tried to time by piston height, (mm before TDC) on a sachs cuz the angled plug makes the math complicated, while degrees on the flywheel is very easy.

I wasn’t sure about the timing but you have made it very clear,think I’ll try 20, I be a good lighted magnifying glass that should allow me to see when the points begin to open. Thanks again

one thing people do is use a very thin piece of paper, like bible paper (but not from a real bible, the sacrilege!) or cigarette rolling paper or just thin celophane wrapper whatever. manually open the points, stick it in and close the points on it, then tug with a slight tension, it'll yank outta there when the points open and that's a bit more sensitive than just eyeballing it. also you can totally get away with eyeballing it just to get it going, the difference is gonna be maybe +/- 2-3 deg that way, but the difference that makes on getting it going and running well is pretty minimal.

I set the timing at 19-20,the stator is about as far retard as it can go . Hope this is OK

Thanks

Richard Eberline /

Use a analog or digital OHM meter. Welcome to 2020!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account