1979 Honda Express II NA50 Starter help!

Can someone help! My starter spring winds but then releases. If I take cover off and position starter arm perfectly, it will work a couple times then slips position and wont catch. The manual show a starter arm spring on the nc50 but not sure there is one on the na50. All the other springs are in good shape. Here is a video of the same issue for reference.

(7:40ish mark).

I would like to visit with churioz26 to see how he fixed this if anyone knows how to get ahold of him. (Note: his was a nc50 but maybe the solution is the same.)

If anyone has any ideas or can point me to a good resource I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Re: 1979 Honda Express II NA50 Starter help!

If anyone can tell me if the battery is needed to be installed in order to get spark would also appreciate that. thanks!

You don't need the battery to run, but all the lights will blow without it, it is best to have it.

Jack Rutherford /

How did I fix that? It’s really no big repair. Let me check the manual to refresh my memory.

Jack Rutherford /
EC5A348B-5F81-4C0A-BAF1-935F29E094FC.png

I had one where someone had taken apart the engine and didn’t replace the starter arm. I forget what was wrong with the engine on the lime express. It worked and then it didn’t. The starter arm catches the sprocket and allows you to wind up the spring. It must have become misaligned with the sprocket. Probably due to a missing washer on the sprocket shaft. I think I have a post on it here. I’ll look.

2ADCED2F-16F4-4E5E-A482-ECDA79F8B172.png

There’s also a spring under the starter arm. If that comes off, it may cause alignment issues. (edited)

Thanks for the reply. For the record the 1979 NA50 does have a spring that seats under the starter arm and helps return the arm after the winding spring is released. I was able to find this missing spring in the box of parts. Take care!!!

I have the same problem, except I don't have the spring in the express i bought. anyone know the part number or is this made of unobtanium ?

Pretty much unobtainium.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account