Rusty Wheels

What’s the best way to remove rust from chrome wheels ? Thanks

Re: Rusty Wheels

Sos pad ..or pot scrubber steel wool to start then polish if very much ..

Loosely wad up a small ball of aluminum foil, dip in water and scrub. Rust disappears like magic.

Forgo anything abrasive like steel wool, sand paper etc. Aluminum foil works well because it's softer than nickel (chrome). Forgo water when using foil and use vinegar. Vinegar will dissolve the rust while the foil breaks it loose.

you could try muriatic acid (HCl) and aluminum foil

JUST KIDDING!!! don't do that hahaha

I use penetrating oil (PB blaster or whatever) and aluminum foil, it does a good job breaking down the buildup and also the oil prevents it from rusting again quickly.

steel wool, sand paper and even scotch brite pads are all more abrasive than chrome and can scratch it, leaving it looking duller

if you're going for a real nice final finish, try some wadding (Nevr dull), it's not expensive and a little bit goes a long way. it's pretty nuts, it works very well.

Believe it or not , good old mud does a pretty good job of removing rust on wheels .

Get a handful of dirt , add a bit of water to the point of a nice thick mud .

Apply it and work it with your fingers . Then rinse .

rusty is a realative term. little rusty a few spots lotsa good chrome, rusty all over but kinda shiny, saveable, or mostly rusty. removing goes from 4O (OOOO) steel wool n rubbing compound to wire wheel on drill and steel wool/rubbing compound.

I’ll try the foil ,vinegar and blaster,so far I’ve used vinegar ,600 wet/dry sandpaper,it not dulling or scratching the surface but sure is a slow process .The wheels overall aren’t bad just heavy in spots.Has anyone used Evaporust ?Thanks I’ll keep piddling away.

Huh....did not know about aluminum foil.

> Baron Von Moped Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Huh....did not know about aluminum foil.

Hey , you likely didn't know about mud either . LOL

> Tim Doll Wrote:

> I’ll try the foil ,vinegar and blaster,so far I’ve used vinegar ,600

> wet/dry sandpaper,it not dulling or scratching the surface but sure is a

> slow process .The wheels overall aren’t bad just heavy in spots.Has

> anyone used Evaporust ?Thanks I’ll keep piddling away.

You might lose a little shine but i just cleaned a rusty pair with sos pads ..if they are very bad they are going to show pitted plays anyway so loosing a little shine won't be noticable .

> P D Wrote:

> > Baron Von Moped Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Huh....did not know about aluminum foil.

>

> Hey , you likely didn't know about mud either . LOL

I didn’t, but I would use al-foil over a hand full of mud.....little easier to manage.

> Tim Doll Wrote:

> I’ll try the foil ,vinegar and blaster,so far I’ve used vinegar ,600

> wet/dry sandpaper,it not dulling or scratching the surface but sure is a

> slow process .The wheels overall aren’t bad just heavy in spots.Has

> anyone used Evaporust ?Thanks I’ll keep piddling away.

Evaporust is great for soaking rusted parts in, or filling a rusty gas tank with. Never tried it with scrubbing rims, but I use foil and water exclusively, and it works great, & is super easy & fast.(vinegar is ok too, but may flash rust on ya)

> Baron Von Moped Wrote:

> I didn’t, but I would use al-foil over a hand full of mud.....little

> easier to manage.

I can see that . When the aluminum foil isn't doing what you want , try the mud .

It may not do what you want either , but , then you'll know . ;)

A little secret : Mud , in the right consistency , is the mother of rubbing compound ( which also does a good job of removing rust ) .(edited)

I jut dipped my rusty chrome rim and some other rusty parts in Evaporust. Let them in around 20 hours .I couldn’t believe the results , it removed all the rust ! I buffed it with some fine steel wool and the parts look fantastic! It’s around $25 a gallon but each gallon removes one half pound of rust so you can keep using it . I’ve got more parts soaking right now , amazing stuff !

Something else to consider for rust removal : Oxalic Acid .

It does a great job and it's cheap . ;)

Use the search :

https://mopedarmy.com/forums/search.php?6,search=oxalic,author=,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=0

I "used" up all my evaporust trying to derust a tank. it turned out it was so rusty that without the rust there, all that was left was holes. made a real nasty mess of the floor and i havent replaced the gallon

> P D Wrote:

> Something else to consider for rust removal : Oxalic Acid .

>

> It does a great job and it's cheap . ;)

>

> Use the search :

>

> https://mopedarmy.com/forums/search.php?6,search=oxalic,author=,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=0

I bought a ten pound bag of Oxalic Acid powder on Amazon pretty cheap. I haven’t used any yet. I’ve got a frame and a few rims & rando parts to soak. Still haven’t made a soaking tub yet.

Any idea what the mixing ratio to water is? IIRC it’s about 3 tablespoons/gallon.

> Seth B Wrote:

> I bought a ten pound bag of Oxalic Acid powder on Amazon pretty cheap. I

> haven’t used any yet. I’ve got a frame and a few rims & rando parts to

> soak. Still haven’t made a soaking tub yet.

>

> Any idea what the mixing ratio to water is? IIRC it’s about 3

> tablespoons/gallon.

Recommended mix ratio : 12 ounces to 1 gallon of water .

I used 12 ounces to 2 gallons of water and left things soak until I was satisfied ( a couple days for my Simplex tank , which was not badly rusted ) .

> P D Wrote:

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I bought a ten pound bag of Oxalic Acid powder on Amazon pretty cheap.

> I

>

> > haven’t used any yet. I’ve got a frame and a few rims & rando parts to

>

> > soak. Still haven’t made a soaking tub yet.

>

> >

>

> > Any idea what the mixing ratio to water is? IIRC it’s about 3

>

> > tablespoons/gallon.

>

> Recommended mix ratio : 12 ounces to 1 gallon of water .

>

> I used 12 ounces to 2 gallons of water and left things soak until I was

> satisfied ( a couple days for my Simplex tank , which was not badly

> rusted ) .

12 ounces by weight, or liquid measure? If I remember your thread, Didn’t you use the liquid stuff from the hardware store? It’s not as concentrated as the powder, i think. Can’t remember atm, but 6 ounces/gallon seems like a lot, if powdered.(edited)

Back to rusty wheels, and I’m starting on a grubby Ciao rim tonight. I didn’t think this one would clean up...

image.jpg

But after about five minutes scrubbing a section with foil & water...

image.jpg

It looks like it’ll clean up pretty decent, considering.

36 minutes later, all done. After a quick final scrub with soap & water in the bathtub (while the wife is at work). Here’s results:

image.jpg

It’s not perfect, and I could have spent a little more time around the nipples, but considering what I started with, it’ll do.

image.jpg

And only about 15 cents worth of foil.

That looks really good ,I’ll give it a try. Even if we never get this bike running at least it will look impressive . Thanks

I’ve never tried foil, I’ll have to give it a shot. I’ve used Brasso liquid with 0000 steel wool for heavy stuff before, works well. And I will 2nd using NeverDull, love that stuff and works well for cleaning spokes, if you have the patience for such a tedious task.

Your right about the spokes,I’m thinking about getting a spoke tool and clean one at a time then put them back in. That makes for a long winter

If you have never spoked a wheel you.might want to clean them as they are..if you don't get them torqued back right you could end up with some really wobbly wheels .. ..

Thanks for the info , that will definitely make me take the old school route.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah you don't you don't want to ever mess with those spokes unless you have to it is an art and a science to re-lace the hubs and you need a truing stand a good ear and calipers and an insanely large amount attention to detail and patience

I looked up removing spokes on you tube and saw a pro doing it .Id have to take it to a bicycle shop and that would put this $300 bargain bike easily over the $1000 mark,

dirty spokes aren’t all that bad after all .

If they are just/simply dirty , clean them .

Cheap , but, labor intensive : SOS pads .

More expensive , but, much less labor intensive : S100 Total Cycle Cleaner .

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account