1980 Garelli super sport xl won’t start

Hey! So excited to finally have a moped. But I’m having some issues. I got it from my buddy and he said it turned over every time they tried it but it’s been sitting for a while. I’ve been pedaling like crazy to get it started, all it does it pudder, like it’s kind of starting and every once in a while it will do a louder pudder like it’s about to turn over. But as much as I pedal it won’t turn. I’m new to this and not sure what’s goin on, ive drained my knowledge resources and need help. And I’ve check the wiki, I dk how to troubleshoot my issue.

Here’s what I’ve done so far. Drained the tank, put new gas and 2 stroke oil, made sure the petcock? is working, it is. Checked the spark plug, it was wet and the engine seemed to be flooded. So I took the carb apart and cleaned it, put it back on, same issue. I check the spark plug to make sure it was sparking, blue spark. I noticed gas in the air cover, and some dripping underneath the carb, so I tightened everything down more. Also, it’s a rainy night, not sure if that affects it. I think it’s having flooding issues.(edited)

Re: 1980 Garelli super sport xl won’t start

Float is sticking? Plug is wet with fuel? Fix the float/needle valve condition. Clean the needle valve seat with a q-tip and toothpaste. Make sure the float isn't broken or cracked, not floating.

Always have a new spark plug handy.(edited)

I‘be taken the carb apart twice now, I guess I’ll take it apart again and do the qtip trick, I thought it looked fine. I just got a new spark plug. The plug is wet with fuel. Still same issue.(edited)

Wel I just did the q tip trick and it’s still not firing. Hmmm

Is it timed right? You can have spark, but if it is not sparking at the right time it does not matter, how are your points?

I have no idea, I guess I’ll wiki that. Is that hard to do?(edited)

garelli ss, i like. anyways if its flooded youll mess up new plugs in a jiffy. just turn off the petcock and pedal with wide open throttle till it blows out all that old crap. alotta times the crank case seal under the stator plate is bad. if problem persists after multi carb cleanings, points cleaning and it appears wet in that area id look into changing that seal.

> Sam Sykes Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wel I just did the q tip trick and it’s still not firing. Hmmm

But is the carb still dripping?

Get your buddy to show you it turning over every time. How long had it been sitting?

The engine is actually turning right? You shouldn't pedal it on the stand, it can really fuck up things. Just kick it over.

Crank seals? Have you tried starting fluid? If you do don't run it for more than a few seconds, no lube...it would rule out spark n compression if it worked tho.

How many ounces of oil did you add to a gallon of gas?

Yeah I thought I may have added too much oil so I threw that gas out and put in some new gas, that ratio is right.

Doesn’t seem to be dripping now, but if it were?

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> Get your buddy to show you it turning over every time. How long had it

> been sitting?

He said it did a while ago, it’s been sitting now for a year or so.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> The engine is actually turning right? You shouldn't pedal it on the

> stand, it can really fuck up things. Just kick it over.

>

> Crank seals? Have you tried starting fluid? If you do don't run it for

> more than a few seconds, no lube...it would rule out spark n compression

> if it worked tho.

Do you just squirt starting fluid in where the spark plug goes? And yeah the engine is turning, should I do that wide open with the spark plug out to clear if?

Also the jet said 63 on it, could that be my issue?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Sam Sykes Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Wel I just did the q tip trick and it’s still not firing. Hmmm

>

> But is the carb still dripping?

Is this a Dellorto carb? If the carb is dripping, it can be overflowing,which just cancels out yer jet size and floods the engine.

63 sounds high if it's a dellorto.

Some novices have been known to drill out a jet also thinking that the bike would go faster.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Stock jetting for a Garelli is #52 main jet. Jetting may have been increased to compensate for leaky flywheel side seal.

I just spray some starter fluid in there and I got it to put put a lot more than it has. My buddy may have a new dellorto carb to give me. He also had more jets.

I hope his dellorto fits.................if not, just use his jets to downjet if your bike's stock.

Did you check that float to make sure it FLOATS? If it has gas in it it will not push the needle soon enough or hard enough.

Just talked to my buddy, he said it was most likely ported because of the guy it came from. And I haven’t checked if the float actually floats. Thanks for all the help, I’m going to get it working!

drunken mcfrenzy /

sounds like a corrupted float.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account