Sachs Flywheel

Could it be possible the flywheel cam be warn so bad it won’t work the points?

Re: Sachs Flywheel

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

not really likely, but i suppose it could happen. the points would usually wear out or fail long before the steel lobe on the flywheel would wear down.

I took it off today and it was a rusty disaster the magnets weren’t only pitted , they were eaten up with rust . Maybe between the worn fiber piece on the points and the flywheel they didn’t touch. I ordered a new but original stator and flywheel from Dos for $85.Its a project with my grandsons and a learning experience. Next time we’re going to take the motor off, it makes it a lot easier. Thanks a lot all advice is welcome

Don't take this the wrong way but you are aware that you have to set the gap on the points aren't you ..just asking ..if the points are worn down they would not have opened and if not completly worn down you should have been able to set the gap enough to make open even if just a little..

I’ll try doing that tomorrow I just thought for that price I couldn’t go wrong .These bikes are new to me so I don’t know what looks correct. Thanks

New setup from dos, that's a sweet deal

if in the full range of adjustment, the points never open often it's the fiber lifter on the points that's worn, and you'd just need new points

it is totally possible to have the cam get pitted and worn. that won't make the points fail to open, but it will wear down the points lifter super fast causing the above issue, and depending on how rough it is it can make the points skip and run really erratically. I've definitely had bikes with inexplicable electrical gremlins that turned out to be crappy pitted cam lobes on the flywheel.

The new setup from Dos worked great ,new everything for $85. I pulled th flywheel and couldn’t believe the wear on points and flywheel lobe.Iput the new parts on and the points worked perfectly .I set them at .016 and now have to set the timing.I paid $300 for this 1978 Balboa but it’s cosmeticlly in great shape,hoping to have a nice restore for around $800.My Grand son is having a blast helping Thanks

Rad. I LOVE a balboa, in my decade plus of mopeds and probably close to 100 bikes, tha balboa is the one i've kept

It’s really a nice looking and quality made bike .This is my first moped experience and just so happened to be the one that caught my eye on Craigslist The owner couldn’t get it running so bought his son a newer Tomos. It has quite a few snafus but so far the problems have been challenging but pretty obvious .Exactly what you want in a Grandson project.Time is not an issue so we’re going over every system.when we get this completed I’m hoping to find another Balboa. Thanks

If you're in canton I'm up in cleveland. we hang out and fix stuff in a shared garage in asia town pretty much every tuesday, gonna tryn do more rides this summer too. I'll PM you my phone number.

but if you're looking for a balboa, I just sold 2. oops!

One of them is a really neat rare purple with a 2 speed grip shift manual transmission, they weren't sold in the US but a few of them exist here. the guy who got it is in Dayton and selling it again for only 450, here: https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,4333801

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account