Spark Plug Issue/Overall advice needed

Hey y'all, I have a Wolf Brand RX-50 moped that is not in the greatest shape. I've been working on it for a while, but the engine still won't turn over. I realized that the spark plug is not firing. I replaced it with a new one and tried jumping the moped with a car battery in case the older battery was not producing enough power, but it still won't spark. I checked the whole electrical system and saw no signs of corrosion, bad wiring, or severed wires. As far as I can tell, either the CDI unit or the Ignition coil is busted, but I don't know how to tell if either of those parts are broken. I know the electrical starter is working and I've tried using the manual kick-start. Clearly, if the spark-plug isn't working then that would keep the engine from running.

Primarily, I'm looking for advice on whether I'm correct in my assessment of the CDI and/or Ignition Coil being the reason. Any advice from someone with experience in the electrical side of this would be super helpful! What other potential causes could there be for my moped not working?

In case this info is relevant:

The moped sat outside uncovered for about 8 months without being used until this past August when I started working on it. I have replaced the oil and gas, replaced the acceleration cable(which was snapped), replaced the gas cap, seat lock, and ignition switch(Due to having lost the key), cleaned the carburetor, checked all the fuel/vacuum lines, and fixed the anti-theft steering lock. Not sure if any of those would be relevant or not, but I figured I would include that information just in case.

Re: Spark Plug Issue/Overall advice needed

Wolf Brand RX-50 is a scooter - not a moped - perhaps a scooter forum will have scooter folks who could direct you to efficient attempts at repair.

Generally speaking, if you can check the trigger coil for the correct impedance with an ohm meter, also check the exciter coil with the ohm meter, check the external coil as well. Check that the kill switch is not shorted to be grounded all time. Verify you have electricity going to the coil (some will not run without a battery). Perhaps find someone else who has a Wolf Brand RX-50 and interchange CDI to verify the box.

But seriously try a scooter forum as best for details and a more friendly atmosphere.

Thanks for the advice! From everything I’ve read mine would be a moped given that it’s a 49cc engine. What tells you it’s a scooter and not a moped though? I’m sure you quite possibly know more than me as I didn’t know that there was a difference between the two until you brought that up.

> Cade Paschall Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the advice! From everything I’ve read mine would be a moped

> given that it’s a 49cc engine. What tells you it’s a scooter and not a

> moped though? I’m sure you quite possibly know more than me as I didn’t

> know that there was a difference between the two until you brought that

> up.

Does it have PEDals ? As in moPED . That is short for 'motor with pedals' .

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Some new bikes actually have an integrated Cdi that has a fob and alarm system. If you lose or broke the fob have to get a replacement and they do not plug and play whole thing is a nightmare.

Here it is vintage motorized pedicycle site mostly electronicless ness...

Seems to be dual variated pitbike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account