Improvised fuel tank

Zachary Pina /

So I’ve been in the process of getting an old Batavus VA running again, replaced a few parts and had it good enough to run with except the fuel tank which is currently nice and rusty. Ended up making an improvised gas tank out of an old isopropyl alcohol bottle, had it running perfectly the other day but hooked it up today and noticed after an hour of tinkering the gas wasn’t liking the bottle cap and started dissolving it into an odd dust. Just curious if this could damage the engine or anything, any tips and information helps!

Re: Improvised fuel tank

I doubt you hurt anything but will probably need to clean the carb ..i used an old oil tank on one and have one currently running on a tank off an urban express strapped to the back rack with bungy cords untill i can get the tank cleaned..

20191217_173105.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Plastic lawn mower tanks work make saddle bags out of them.

big gulp cup is my go to.

Nah you're fine. Go buy a lot jug of the premix from Ace hardware or autozone or wherever and use that instead.

Zachary Pina /

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm currently waiting for a new petcock for the tank, and its waiting to be cleaned out with acid. In the meantime I'm looking for an old lawn mower gas tank just as preparation for anything else that might go wrong down the road.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account