Do i need a new reed valve for qt50

Found i have an intake leak on my qt50.i know nothing at all about reeds ..should i order a new reed along with gaskets ...it is probably original and i am not sure if age would be a factor..if i order a new one should i order just a stock reed or is there aything newer that will give it better performance ..i would like to get some opinions on this ..thanks

Re: Do i need a new reed valve for qt50

If you have an airleak in your intake, the reeds aren't the issue. The seal between the reedblock and the case is the issue (or seal between the carb and intake). New gaskets should fix it. While you're in there I would slap on some new performance reeds anyways: https://www.treatland.tv/boyesen-dual-stage-reeds-for-YAMAHA-QT50-PW50-YT-p/boyesen-yamaha-qt50-reeds-674.htm

Jack Rutherford /

New gaskets should fix it. The boyesen reeds or the carbon fiber reed on ebay should theoretically give better performance but I don't really think it's noticeable. You will get a variety of opinions on reed performance.

Your real issue with reed performance is probably the size of the reed openings. (edited)

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you have an airleak in your intake, the reeds aren't the issue. The

> seal between the reedblock and the case is the issue (or seal between

> the carb and intake). New gaskets should fix it. While you're in there I

> would slap on some new performance reeds anyways:

> https://www.treatland.tv/boyesen-dual-stage-reeds-for-YAMAHA-QT50-PW50-YT-p/boyesen-yamaha-qt50-reeds-674.htm

I understand it is gasket problem but 35 year old reeds wearing out was actually the reason i asked,plus not being familiar with them wanted input on maybe newer technology that would give better performance.i guess i should say since i am replacing the gaskets should the reeds being that old be replaced and are there better options...thanks for the reply (edited)

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Nick Haber Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If you have an airleak in your intake, the reeds aren't the issue. The

>

> > seal between the reedblock and the case is the issue (or seal between

>

> > the carb and intake). New gaskets should fix it. While you're in there

> I

>

> > would slap on some new performance reeds anyways:

>

> >

> https://www.treatland.tv/boyesen-dual-stage-reeds-for-YAMAHA-QT50-PW50-YT-p/boyesen-yamaha-qt50-reeds-674.htm

>

> I understand it is gasket problem but 35 year old reeds wearing out was

> actually the reason i asked,plus not being familiar with them wanted

> input on maybe newer technology that would give better performance.i

> guess i should say since i am replacing the gaskets should the reeds

> being that old be replaced and are there better options...thanks for the

> reply

I mean the reeds in there are likely steel and probably aren't going to go bad per say. The better option is the boyesen reeds I linked. You should notice an increase in power with them

to test the reeds

1. pull the reed block off the cylinder

2. attempt to suck air the "wrong way" through the reeds

3. savor the sweet taste of 2t premix

if you are able to draw against the reeds, they need service/replacement. otherwise, run whatcha brung.

The carb has a 70 jet..if changing to the different reed block are there any thoughts on a different jet size..

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account