Hobbit - remove crank bearing.

I picked up another Hobbit motor today and the crank bearings were making strange grinding sounds. I pulled the case apart and one of the bearings is still stuck on the crankshaft. Aside from purchasing a bearing splitter, what is the best way to remove the offending bearing. Thanks guys. Jack

Re: Hobbit - remove crank bearing.

Mallet and a socket

Jack Rutherford /

if you have access to a press, you can press it out. if you can get a vise on the bearing, you might be able to beat the crank through it with a mallet.

you can try some careful work with the blue wrench...

Do be careful beating on a three peice crank cause it can be knocked out of alignment. I dont remember what I paid for this one, less than $20 though from auto parts store or ebay. I did have to grind on the splitter a bit to get it thin enough to slip behind bearing as seen in last pic. Also, if going this route you will need a puller to assist the splitter. Steering wheel/harmonic balancer puller from auto parts store will work fine.

20160331_143237.jpg
20160308_150354.jpg
20160308_150652.jpg

Oh I'm dumb, I read your post wrong, thought it was stuck in the case, my bad. Without a bearing puller your best bet may be heat and two expendable flathead screwdrivers that you use to try to lever the bearing off with

look at the loaner tools at auto parts store

Thanks everyone for your input. I found a reasonably priced splitter on eBay that might work. Keep you posted. Jack

Jack Rutherford /

yes, the bearing puller is the way to go. I ended up buying one some time ago. I should've suggested that. When you say "splitter", I assume you mean bearing puller.

And in thinking about it, it would be pretty difficult to press out the bearing on a press as there is little space between the bearing and the crank.

I thought about heat on the bearing as well.

and I should've said, "gently tapping" the crank through the bearing with a soft rubber mallet.

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Oh I'm dumb, I read your post wrong, thought it was stuck in the case,

> my bad. Without a bearing puller your best bet may be heat and two

> expendable flathead screwdrivers that you use to try to lever the

> bearing off with

Not dumb. Just too quick to post without digesting the content. Ive done the same thing. I think everyone has at some point. Having several points of veiw is what makes this place priceless.

> Jack Nielsen Wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your input. I found a reasonably priced splitter on

> eBay that might work. Keep you posted. Jack

Notice I installed the nuts on the end of crank to help prevent mushrooming the end of shaft during the pulling. If damage does occur then removing the nut will most likely straighten up the threads/end of shaft.

These are antiques and I treat them as such. (edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Jack Nielsen Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Thanks everyone for your input. I found a reasonably priced splitter

> on

>

> > eBay that might work. Keep you posted. Jack

>

> Notice I installed the nuts on the end of crank to help prevent

> mushrooming the end of shaft during the pulling. If damage does occur

> then removing the nut will most likely straighten up the threads/end of

> shaft.

>

> These are antiques and I treat them as such.

Yeah, I second this; you will fuck up your threads if you don't thread the nut on the end of the crank until it's flush

Out the crank in the freezer overnight in am hang crank with recalcitrant bearing upside down. I don't even thing u need a flame I would try a heatgun on high aimed at the bearing , probably will fall off. May need a slight coax.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> Out the crank in the freezer overnight in am hang crank with

> recalcitrant bearing upside down. I don't even thing u need a flame I

> would try a heatgun on high aimed at the bearing , probably will fall

> off. May need a slight coax.

That worked on Garelli but not the Honda for me. It's worth a try tho.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account