No vin plates

Malcolm Fitzi /

So, to start off, I'm real new with the moped thing, got my first one a week ago, it's in terrible shape, im trying to find out what year it is so I can get the right parts to start wrenching but unfortunately the dick I bought it from removed the VIN stickers. The only number I can find is the engine serial number; is there some way I can use that to figure out the year this thing was made? (All I know is it's a tomos targa, halp.)

Re: No vin plates

I mean, the bike's stolen if it's missing the VIN. No reason to remove the VIN except if it's stolen. Pictures might help to ID it, but I wouldn't put too much time or money into a stolen bike

What did the guy write on the bill of sales for a vin#?

Was the guys name dick?

VIN should be stamped into the frame somewhere on a tomos...I'm thinking under the seat area?

Here's the deal. Tomos put the vin on two foil stickers, one on the head-tube and one on the frame area a few inches below the seat. The bad news is that there were frames that had no stamped vin number, just the two foil stickers. Those stickers fade and deteriorate if the bike was left outside for a long period. On some models the vin is stamped into the right top motor mount which is behind the air filter on bikes with the offset intake. It's not the full vin, but it's the unique number to that specific bike and should match the number on the motor. If you have that number, the color of the bike and can figure out the year you can find out the rest of the number.

Malcolm Fitzi /

Haven't found any stamping under where the air filter was, I'll post pics of it when I get home tomorrow, thanks a bunch!

Malcolm Fitzi /

Here's the pain in the ass

15748036486077768314420201879654.jpg
15748036800647287239463491776434.jpg

Malcolm Fitzi /

And here's where the sticker should be

15748037606131679661733391067540.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It's a 90s era Targa IE Sprint A35 engine if it has reeds if it has a piston port chances are it's an a3 or a55 replacement.

If you have a title or registration engrave the # on the frame.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account