Mikuni VM20 main jet/like.where is it?

Barry (Bob) Brown /

This maybe a dumb question, but I've never been afraid to ask them. I bought a Mukuni carb pack off Treats - came with the MLM intake. I figure the jet was going to be more than I needed so i bought a range of them. Took bowl off and it looks funky where i thought the jet would be. Am I wrong to think this is the jet?

IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG

Re: Mikuni VM20 main jet/like.where is it?

The carb bowl has a bolt that has the jet screwed in it.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Ahhh - cool. All the images and videos for the VM20 show the jet in the normal place like my other carbs, so I was confused.

that IS a jet.. the needle jet. on many carbs it is tunable (ie different flow rates available) but not the vm20. however the jet needle that slides inside the needle jet IS available in different tapers to tune.

the advantage of the main jet at the bottom of the carb float bowl is that you can change out jets far easier.

Jack Rutherford /

Or buy a dial-a-jet and never look back.

Unfortunately, the seller raised the price.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Or buy a dial-a-jet and never look back.

>

>

>

> Unfortunately, the seller raised the price.

That is a cool idea!

yea this is a newer VM design I think. One thing I've learned is that a VM20 is not necessarily the same as a VM20.

I mean like with SHA's and PHBG's etc, the parts and designs remain pretty unchanged, but with VM's they made shitloads of custom fits for specific production models, some take 5mm round jets, 6mm round jets, hex jets, it gets crazy. Different mounts, diameters of filters whatever. some are identical externally but have different length needles or dont fit the same parts etc. it's nuts.

anyway, the mikuni manuals are pretty useful to figure out what's up in there. or just set it and forget it cuz vm. they're real easy to get tuned.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Barry (Bob) Brown /

I really do like that you dont need to take the carb off the intake to rejet.I have been playing with all the jets i bought to fine tune it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account