77 HS50 just - stopped.

I was riding it from my door to the shed, and halfway there it went from running strong to shut off. No interim stalling or weak running, just dead. No seizing, still turns beautifully... still getting fuel and I changed the plug. She Sparks like a beast and the lights and horn both work with pedalling. It. Just. Wont. Start.

I have an in-line filter and clear fuel lines on it and the tank is beautiful too, so I seriously doubt anything got in that way... however the air filter on the encarwi was slightly loose... but not open or off... possible I sucked up something that way?

Any help would be great. Thanks folks!

20191121_114653.jpg
20191121_114705.jpg

Re: 77 HS50 just - stopped.

Did the stator plate slip?

Did it lose time?

I doubt it sucked up something- i lost my air filter on mine, and unknowingly ran it like that for a few weeks.

> Sean Colvin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Did the stator plate slip?

Hope not, but I'll check.

> Red Foreman Wrote:

> Did it lose time?

>

> I doubt it sucked up something- i lost my air filter on mine, and

> unknowingly ran it like that for a few weeks.

I love the Bats, and the M48 seems a solid engine... but it does seem a design flaw to have the carb underneath everything.

Lose time? Not sure I'm familiar with that phrase (still new at this). Would that be similar to the stator plate shifting and the timing being off, or is it something different?

Thanks!

Josiah Radebaugh /

The woodruff key may have sheared which would cause timing issues. Check for spark, and while doing that.. Use something like a pencil to check for timing. If the points open right at or very close to TDC (top dead center) timing is probably good.

So it's running again, and strong.. I went to check to see if the stator had slipped... didnt see any evidence of it. Tried to start it twice more. On the second go it vroomed to life. Seriously, was it just grumpy? The new plug seems to have made her happy again. Also- not a part of this particular thread- but a new plug also made the Puch I have happy again too. Yay new plugs! Still cant figure out why the Bat was so ruddy grumpy for so long. I swear these bikes have personalities, feelings and opinions lol.

^ They do! :)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Seal leak...or gasket on intake...

> David Herrera Wrote:

> So it's running again, and strong.. I went to check to see if the stator

> had slipped... didnt see any evidence of it. Tried to start it twice

> more. On the second go it vroomed to life. Seriously, was it just

> grumpy? The new plug seems to have made her happy again. Also- not a

> part of this particular thread- but a new plug also made the Puch I have

> happy again too. Yay new plugs! Still cant figure out why the Bat was so

> ruddy grumpy for so long. I swear these bikes have personalities,

> feelings and opinions lol.

It wants to be one color. Js

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Check the main ground that goes to the tank mount sometimes it'll get loose and you'd just lose power.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Then, the carb the inlet banjo has a screen cup hidden inside and it gets clogged

Overpriced Parts /

Seems like when I have a problem I put the Original 40 year Bosch old plugs back in and the bikes Fire, most times NGK and other brands suck compared to the original plugs,

A matter fact a lot of my stock modded bikes with a bosch plug goes 1 to 2 miles faster than with NGK plug of any type,

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I also agree it might just be sick because misses the old paint you just get a really good scrub brush and you can fix that the original paint Was duralon it would last it for 40 years after you clear that horrid color buff and clear coat.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account