tomos a3 not running

ben henderson /

picked up this tomos the other day...I actually owned it a year ago. The guy who bought it off me didn't take great care of it.

It isn't running, I figured it was just crap in the carb.

But even with a clean carb it won't run.

Currently, it will start at WOT with starter fluid and then run off the gas in the carb but it is only revving to around 2-3k...or just fast enough to get the wheel moving. It blows a fair bit of smoke as well.

I thought i'd check the head bolts to make sure they were snug...I know the previous owner "tried" to get it running so it makes sense to check anything he may have taken apart. It has been awhile since I worked on one of these...are there supposed to be only 2 head bolts? Or are 2 of the studs snapped off? I'm thinking low compression could cause my issues.

1122192000a.jpg

Re: tomos a3 not running

Lol. Two are broken. Your compression is low

ben henderson /

Yeh, just got done pulling the head off.

Like I said, the guy didn't have a clue on how to maintain the bike. Just wish he had mentioned the to broken bolts so I didn't waste an hour screwing around with the carb.

Will have to buy 2 new studs and figure out how to remove the broken ones. I figure the best way is to weld a nut on the end and then back it out. I tried using 2 nuts but both just backed off rather than turning the stud.

ben henderson /

is m7 x 115mm correct?

why cant u unscrew w vise grips?

ben henderson /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> why cant u unscrew w vise grips?

too rusty

? Just slide they cylinder off and unscrew them

oh i get it, the studs gave been rust welded to the cylinder!, terrible. penetrating oil applied for days, small pick, heat, rubber mallet, repeat, repeat,

id buy four new studs.

> ben henderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > pat splat Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > why cant u unscrew w vise grips?

>

> too rusty

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account