Skf bearings are annoying me

Alden Stover /

I just got a second set of skf bearings in the mail today, and now I'm really scratching my head. Had ordered another set recently to enable a smoother crank but that they were very stiff and didn't roll freely. Haven't not really realized this til I installed them, i opted to order another set instead of trying to return them because i know I'd ruin them taking them off. The new set came in and yet again, doesn't roll freely. Is there something I'm missing? Are these supposed to loosen up or something? I don't exactly want to snap something, having the cylinder fighting the crack. -motobecane 50v

Re: Skf bearings are annoying me

are they greased? They could be pre-greased and just need to work that,or are they free spinning until they're on? Maybe you've got some side force binding?

Alden Stover /

Yeah, they came greased. The original bearings i took off made noise but at least spun freely. These skf bearings barely have any spin to them out of the box.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

"Barely have any spin"...does that mean that you physically cannot rotate them at all with your hands?

It ain't no fidget spinner, if they are greased then the won't spin more than a few rotations freely by themselves.

Alden Stover /

I can rotate them with my hand. By barely spin, i mean it barely moves at all freely. A few rotations freely? Hell, it barely rotates a quarter of an inch freely.

Alden Stover /

Here, this is how freely they rotate

that's just the grea, as they heat up and under load it'll spin. I remember early on skateboarding spinning wheels and they'd cook forever when they were broken in, new they wouldnt spin as long but under load were way smoother. tldr Unloaded free spinniness doesnt equal restriction under load and at temp. once those get some use they'll be real nice.

Try washing them out with brake cleaner .

There are bearings made with tight tolerances . SKF bearings have always been known to be long lasting , higher quality bearings . I suppose being a bit tight might just be part of that .

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Yeah, that's fine. As long as they're smooth, you're good. Might want to blast that grease out with brake cleaner and compressed air before installing them on your crank and assembling the engine. You dont really want that grease in your crankcase

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Clean the grease out and soak

them in two stroke oil.

Probably Fred /

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, that's fine. As long as they're smooth, you're good. Might want to

> blast that grease out with brake cleaner and compressed air before

> installing them on your crank and assembling the engine. You dont really

> want that grease in your crankcase

Ya I do that and then lube with cycle oil and see how it feels before I assemble any engine with a new bearing! A few times bearings were defective I’m glad I did that

I see nothing wrong in that video. Load them onto your crank and give them a wee drop of 2t oil, make sure the chamered ID side is facing the crank cheek (also your spi seals need to have the garter springs facing OUT).

The bearings you removed spin like heck because they are worn out.

^^yes to grease removal, ive seen oil passages clogged up w that crap. nothing like hearing the supersonic whirl from bearing spinning up w compressed air, nuthin holding it back.

heads up - spinning a dry bearing at high speeds unloaded is a great way to potentially damage it. grit can jam up the rollers and cause them to skid, wearing them prematurely, and straight metal-metal contact is not usually a good thing.

Inde - nothing like shortening the life of a bearing when t is brand new by chasing out the grease with brake cleaner and running it at high speed with compressed air.

Dont forget to blow compressed air directly on your hands as well so you can find that tiny little cut that will shove a painful air embolism under the first layer of skin.

> pat splat Wrote:

> ^^yes to grease removal, ive seen oil passages clogged up w that crap.

> nothing like hearing the supersonic whirl from bearing spinning up w

> compressed air, nuthin holding it back.

You guys are right . But , it seems you're swatting at gnats .

Then again , some of the folks on this site could/would push it to the limit , just because .

I have to ask : Exactly how much life are these bearings loosing due to 'testing' ?

Would anyone notice the difference in lifespan ?

Specially considering the work life treatment a lot of these builds are expected to endure . Not to mention some shop conditions are far from ideal .

Seems that practice would actually tell whether or not the bearing was good from the start .

If an air-gun happened to open a small wound a bit farther and left a pocket of dirty air , I'd think it would get put right at the top of the do not do list . ;)

I keep in mind that I want 35+ more years from my 35+ year old mopeds:

quality in = quality out.

> P D Wrote:

> You guys are right . But , it seems you're swatting at gnats .

>

> Then again , some of the folks on this site could/would push it to the

> limit , just because .

>

> I have to ask : Exactly how much life are these bearings loosing due to

> 'testing' ?

>

> Would anyone notice the difference in lifespan ?

>

> Specially considering the work life treatment a lot of these builds are

> expected to endure . Not to mention some shop conditions are far from

> ideal .

>

> Seems that practice would actually tell whether or not the bearing was

> good from the start .

>

> If an air-gun happened to open a small wound a bit farther and left a

> pocket of dirty air , I'd think it would get put right at the top of the

> do not do list . ;)

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> I keep in mind that I want 35+ more years from my 35+ year old mopeds:

>

> quality in = quality out.

>

That^ is the best approach .

If we start out right , we're much more likely end up right . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account