How to time cdi 12v on e50

Jeffrey Strichart /

I am installing a 12v cdi ignition on my '78 Maxi. Assuming I get it right and have spark, which is a big assumption, I do not understand how to time it. I have a self powered timing light if one is needed. I did search the wiki but no love. Thank you.

Re: How to time cdi 12v on e50

I wallered out the slots on the cdi stator for more adjustability. Printed out a timing strip and taped it to the flywheel with zero at tdc. Used a timing light to check and adjusted to desired advancement

Probably the totally wrong way but whatever. Never did cdi again after that bike anyway.

Jeffrey Strichart /

Ok I will mark the flywheel at TDC. Then make a timing strip however I do not know how to make the strip but will search wiki. After that well I know how to time a car but I have no idea of how to tighten/loosen the stator with the bike running. Do I just watch with the timing light and then turn it off, remove the flywheel, adjust the stator by eye and keep doing that until it is right? Or is it much easier and I am crazy.

Thanks man

Jeffrey Strichart /

That is GOLD! Thank you. I don't know how I did not find that.

Thanks man

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account