1995 Tomos Targa

Changing my first and second gear clutches because they slip going into second gear. I notice when I took the clutches out the gear/shaft /cam I will attach a video if it lets me. It’s very sloppy after removing the two clutches and wondering if that’s normal. Didn’t let me do a video but I can move that shaft with the two gears about a 1/4 up and down

F983F420-98E1-4DF4-BF6D-BF9967BABEB7.png
FD032C30-481A-43B7-BAAD-79178820684A.jpeg

Re: 1995 Tomos Targa

♣Slew Foot♣ /

as long as it slips into the bearing on the other side it's fine it's supposed to have a little play so you can pop the clutch Gear in the pedal shaft the little hourglass shape Pole gets the thing that looks like a can opener in it and it must be in place when you reassemble sloppy going into gear either a broken or worn brake strip or not enough fluid or wrong fluid... Going down and slipping it's your one way bearing on your clutch Bell

Brian Terrell /

I use the recommended F tranny fluid and fill it to it comes out the screw hole. I bought it with the shifting problem. If you stay on the throttle for a while it will shift ( noisy before it shifts) but if your going down hill it shifts fine.

Brian Terrell /

This is my clutch pads. Do you think there worn out ? There also hard as a rock. First and second gear clutches in the two pics

C0A7ED5E-5A43-4EDB-87B8-6492C80D7805.png
725D651F-3EFA-4A57-AF57-3E9D8F805921.png

From what I can see the clutch material looks brand new, are they glazed on the top?

Brian Terrell /

Yes very shiny and hard as a rock

7476E81F-A25F-45AB-AF07-E9B5B583A880.png

clutches r fine, timos will shift on that pot metal. yr problem most likely dirty carb/ dirty stock filter, plugged exhaust, or plug. id get some kinda pipe, proma.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Glazed 2nd gear clutch pads will cause a delayed shift, especially if you have a power deficiency

Brian Terrell /

Starts right up and idles great. Going down the road it starts to make noise then if I stay on it long enough it shifts into second and goes great and runs great. It’s just the switch from first to second. Try to scuff up the pads and they just pretty much Fell apart. I have some 3/32 gasket from Napa auto and I’m just going to change them just to rule that out.

Brian Terrell /

Yeah I’m going to reline them with some 3/32 cork gasket material from the auto parts store just to rule that out

♣Slew Foot♣ /
A35transmission2.jpg

223 121

Solder in place. It can be the wheels chain or brake sticking.

If all else checks out the main shaft comes apart an there are rollers the inner race is all wavey it may be straightened...kickstarter cage grind?

Brian Terrell /

The noise seems to be from the clutch side. I’m relining the clutches to see and go from there. The guy I got it from said it’s always been that way.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account