Points arcing

Drake Abrahamsson /

Just installed a new condenser and points. It’s pitch black out thanks to the daylights saving adjustment and I looked into the points and they’re arcing a little bit. I doubt I could see it in the daylight (emphasis on pitch black from previous sentence). I could see the arcing quite clear in daylight with the last set of points/condenser. Should I have absolutely zero arcing or should I expect a little bit? Thanks!

Re: Points arcing

Should be a little bit.

Some arcing is normal, if it is excessive make sure you do not have the external coil wired backwards if it has two primary connections: terminal marked as 1 is points; 15 is ground.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some arcing is normal, if it is excessive make sure you do not have the

> external coil wired backwards if it has two primary connections:

> terminal marked as 1 is points; 15 is ground.

this should be in the first few lines of the wiki...

Richard Eberline /

Points adjusted to tight will arc more. The condenser, your condition of ground wires and components are big factors. The condensers job is to help stop the arcing and pitting of your ignition points. OEM components are always a good choice.

Like Richard says, try another CORRECT condenser. Check gap on the points ,usually fourteen thousandths of an inch is good, that's .014".

Drake Abrahamsson /

I got this one. https://www.treatland.tv/puch-moped-condenser-solder-type-p/puch-condenser-solder.htm

I got the Bosch points, not the cheap ones

In the daylight there is no arcing to be seen- before the replacement I could easily see long arcs across the points

Drake Abrahamsson /

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some arcing is normal, if it is excessive make sure you do not have the

> external coil wired backwards if it has two primary connections:

> terminal marked as 1 is points; 15 is ground.

Thank you! That is good info

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account