Late model E50 crank with snap ring between seal and clutch bearing

Dan O'Connor /

Stuck on this rebuild now. This crank has a slightly different setup than the E50 standard. The clutch side has a 17/40/7 seal (as opposed to a 22/40/7) followed by a snap ring and the bearing. What I found is the bearing removed (labelled Steyr 2D 19.462.03) is not a standard 6203 NR, but rather has a recessed inner race by about 1MM to accommodate the snap ring. Now I'm stuck because I can't get the outside snap ring on because the grove is not exposed. I bought a bearing at treats that appeared to be (from the comments)what I needed but I no-name bearing labelled 6203Z with locating ring but the inner and outer race are the same width so it doesn't work either. This is on an 84 dart. Thanks

https://www.treatland.tv/6203-ST-bearing-top-metrakit-crankshafts-p/puch-bearing-6203-st-top.htm

Re: Late model E50 crank with snap ring between seal and clutch bearing

Dan O'Connor /

The crank on the right is the one I have. You can see the narrow inner race and the actual part number looks to be 900.6254 as opposed to the number on the bearing I listed above.

new type crank.png

you may find what u need on myrons bearings page or atleast some good info.

It's interesting watching Puch's designs subtly change over the years. I wonder if they were just getting too much crank walk due to the original starter clutch design or something...

I actually built an e50 with the same crank and bearing but i did it just to see what would happen. I’m surprised you got that bearing on to begin with.

Okay guys are going to hate me but the bike should be fine without the circlip. I have that crank setup on a cased inducted e50 and works fine no problems yet.

I really don’t know what the circlip does. Best I can say is it just keeps the spacing the same for the clutch set up. It could also help when the reverse clutch bell engages, the bell would be slammed against the bearing race if the circlip was not there.

Dan O'Connor /

I made it work with an angle filed on the snap ring, and but then still had to use a thinner washer beneath the clutch sleeve bushing to get on the next snap ring. Then Shaun at myronsmopeds emailed saying he found one NOS 900.6254 bearing on hand an confirmed it had an 11mm inner race so I bought since I hadn't sealed the case. I probably should have bought a new crank but wasn't sure they'd all work with the dart clutch which is also a little different.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account