6203NR

Dan O'Connor /

Replacing my bearings and seals on an E50 in a dart. The crankshaft 6203NR coming out to of the motor appears to be original. I see it has a shield on the outer side towards the clutch. The replacement I received does not. Do I need to have an outer shield on this?

6203NR.jpg

Re: 6203NR

If you want one seal get a 6203-2RS and pick one sealout. Seal is not completely fluid proof but it is shyte proof to stop particles from getting into the bearing. I usually order 2RS spec bearings (two 'rubber' shield) if they are not proprietary sizing or the build does not ask for ZZ spec (two metal shields).

♣Slew Foot♣ /

NR specification is no rubber there's not supposed to be any Shields because the air-fuel mixture is supposed to get through there to lubricate it batavus uses em

Dan O'Connor /

That's the original bearing as installed at the factory. It appears it is only lubricated from the transmission fluid as there is no oil channel on that side like there is on the magneto side so that bearing is isolated from the crankcase. However, it isn't quite a generic 6203 NR with one shield but also has a narrower inner race to sit over a snap ring. I was able to source the correct bearing from myronsmopeds. It's coming today so I'll see whether the NOS correct part has the outer shield installed but as Rebel Moby pointed out if the shield blocked fluid there would be no lubrication at all.

Richard Eberline /

From a E50 motor I have seen a few 6203 NR with one shielded side. The new bearings I have purchased, have had zero shields. As far as opinions go and engines that are still running, the shield isn't needed.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account