2008 Piaggio Fly 50 starts but wont turn over

Daniel Jackson /

I could really use some suggestions at this point. I picked up a 2008 Piaggio Fly 50 4t, 334 original miles, but had been sitting for who know how long (11year?). It's in surprisingly good condition. When I got it home, it started and ran for about 1 minute. Turned over a few times, but nothing since then. I cleaned the tank, new battery, new spark plug. Fuse is good, petcock checks out, getting gas and vaccuum line is pulling. I checked and adjusted the valves. Then bought a new carb (40$). Still wont turn over. Given that it ran (!) when i brought it home, I feel like I'm not far away from a fix but cannot put my finger on it. My next move was to pick up compression tester (or have it hauled to a shop, but don't want to go this route unless all else fails). I just got the VT plate (it worked!) so feeling motivated to fix this bugger. Any ideas?

Re: 2008 Piaggio Fly 50 starts but wont turn over

Daniel Jackson /
dlj OP

oh yeah, also getting spark, but not sure if faulty cdi could be an issue

Sounds like you should have cleaned the original carb .

Daniel Jackson /
dlj OP

other threads suggested just replacing, so I did, and it has a new carb on it now

Daniel Jackson /
dlj OP

here's pic fwiw

20191004_110459_HDR.jpg

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’m assuming for $40, it’s a Chinese clone carb? If so, that’s probably your problem. Clean the old carb as PD suggested.

Daniel Jackson /
dlj OP

the new carb is a Keihin from a reputable ebay seller, asked and was told it was real

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I may be mistaken, but I don’t know of anyone that sells oem piaggio carbs for $40.

Maybe it depends on your definition of 'real' . ;)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I buy all my Vespa/Piaggio parts at scooterpartsco.com because they’re the cheapest on the net. They sell oem Vespa 4t carbs for Piaggio fly 50 scooters for $170. That is what you should expect to pay for a real Piaggio carb. You can’t get squat for $40.

Daniel Jackson /
dlj OP

probably fake then, but any other thread I found on the same bike and situation recommended just go with cheap carb replacement and they had good luck. I have a compression tester coming sunday, if compression checks out, look like I'll be cleaning the old carb. thanks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account