Free Puch Magnum wont crank

Hey all I just got this '79 Puch for free and the engine seems to be seized. When I depress the lever to start it seems to just lock up, otherwise it pedals and stops, just looks a little rough. I'm looking to get it running on a budget since it was already free and I'm just doing it on the side out of my college apartment.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

20191028_210233.jpg

Re: Free Puch Magnum wont crank

Probably Fred /

Pull flywheel cover and try to turn flywheel by hand,

I hope you didn’t steal it. That’s a nice bike lock lol

Bad Cadillac™ /

That thing is beat and looks like it's got a pipe and kit on it which probably means it's seized up and that's why you got it for free.

Free is great but you'll probably have to put another kit on it to get it to run.

Not stolen though it does look suspicious lol, it was abandoned on a property for a number of years and the lot owner told me to take it.

Soo it's probably stolen.lol

Sounds seized.

Yeah I'm not too sure on the laws about these things, all I know is it would've been scrap metal if I didn't end up with it.

> Sage Lilly Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah I'm not too sure on the laws about these things, all I know is it

> would've been scrap metal if I didn't end up with it.

Dude, fix it and ride the piss out of it already!

It would be worth it to write the VIN down and have it checked.

You don't want to put moneys into it only to get it taken away. Or worse, get charged with receiving stolen property

Otherwise, noice fucking find. I wish you the best with it :)

if its the piston stuck, you might try soaking it, and tapping it thru the sparkplug hole. maybe take the sparkplug out, and see where the piston is, in its stroke. take the head off, and look

Angry Hipster /

I've freed a couple top ends and it's too much of a hassle when you have an e50. Odds are the seals are fossilized and more than likely the bearings are crunchy too.

Just leave the top end on and split the case and throw the whole cylinder/piston/rod/crank in the trash and be done with it.

I guess another question would be how do I check the VIN for any issues if it's pre-standard VIN #'s and only has 7 digits.

> Sage Lilly Wrote:

> I guess another question would be how do I check the VIN for any issues

> if it's pre-standard VIN #'s and only has 7 digits.

Depending on your state you might be able to call the highway patrol, explain you're looking to buy a moped and ask if they can run the VIN.

Alright I got the bike to turn over after taking off the magneto cover and using a wrench to crank it, I can now use the pedals to make the headlight come on. The engine seems to have a shit ton of compression but I dont think it's actually seized.

On a side note I called the state police to run the VIN and they said they cant run the VIN unless I have proof of ownership... so theres that

> Sage Lilly Wrote:

> On a side note I called the state police to run the VIN and they said

> they cant run the VIN unless I have proof of ownership... so theres that

I've had local police run numbers on peds before I purchased. City or county. They all use the same data base. Try again.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account