Puch Maxi intermittent start issues

Jeffrey Strichart /

Sometimes my Maxi starts very easily but most of the time it does not. Fuel and spark are present, however the spark jumps around on the electrode and is sort of white-blue. The points look clean and I have to assume that the timing is ok because the times that it starts it is very easy. I barely even have to push the pedal. Once it starts it idles a bit but the idle gradually gets lower and lower until it stalls. I am going to be modding this bike but not until I have it running good. Thanks

Re: Puch Maxi intermittent start issues

Angry Hipster /

Read Fred's guide to learn to troubleshoot and fix your bike then proceed to school everyone on stock cylinder performance tuning, lol.

This is wild and I mean no disrespect, it's just very odd to go from one extreme to the other.

I consider myself a noob nobody yet I've put together a bike from pieces, rebuilt the e50, pieced together the carb and ignition system and could troubleshoot it with no trouble, you on the other hand ask simple questions yet are proposing to write the book/break records on stock cylinder performance modification.

I wish you luck and will continue to keep an eye on these developments.

Also, maybe start with the carb and make sure you have the correct needle, slide, and atomizer, and spray to check for airleaks.

Angry Hipster /

Also check this chart to help make sure you have the right carb parts.

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/carburetor/bing/

Jeffrey Strichart /

It has been forty years after all and I suffered a brain injury in a Harley crash that unfortunately is sometimes worse than other times and I was having trouble with this today. Good days bad days, you know what I mean? It gets hard for me to concentrate when it gets bad so I asked for help. No harm in that is there? If I was trying to be some badass old school wizard guy I would not have asked these questions would I?

One thing has nothing to do with another. Reviving an old moped and cylinder porting are two entirely different things. I never said I was an expert in everything. I just said I could make a Puch go 60 and I can.

I do appreciate your reply though and your continued support. It is a journey for me. It is more than just a moped. So thanks.(edited)

Angry Hipster /

Sorry to hear about your wreck.

I wish you much luck in hitting 60!

Angry Hipster /

Here is a link to a great video on timing. They show many methods and for now you could use a screwdriver but when you start trying to go fast you'll want a proper piston stop for accuracy.

The video:

Jeffrey Strichart /

Cool thanks yes I watched the video and a couple of others too so I bought a piston stop. I have new points and condenser also a coil hi rev coil party on the way. I am going through all of the wiring. It is tedious but I am probably going to end up rewiring the whole thing. It's a mess anyway so I am going to clean it all up. I hate that wire block it is ugly if you run without the covers.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account