Vinegar in gas tank

So I am treating an old cruddy gas tank with vinegar overnight. Some sites say you must treat with baking soda solution the next day, others don't and just rise well before final fuel.

Thoughts?

Re: Vinegar in gas tank

Angry Hipster /

Not a bad idea to neutralize the acid, if you feel like doing the extra step then you will be rewarded with the peace of mind that you've done everything you can to stop the acid from eating away at the tank. I've generally refilled over and over with fresh gas and kept dumping it out and then called it a day.

My advice is sometimes the old tanks are just so bad that trying to remove the rust creates holes and then you find out via a filthy spot under your bike and vinegar goes all over the bike too.

If it's a removable tank maybe keep it in a plastic tub while using the vinegar maybe suspended on a makeshift rack or something in the tub that way if it leaks it won't further damage the sides of the tank., and if not then you just park the bike somewhere the leaking wouldn't matter much, maybe outside as long as it is safe from theft.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’d leave the vinegar in for a few days, especially if the tank is real cruddy.(edited)

+1 on time. I've overwintered tanks and they came out super nice. Metal Rescue works very quick too, also used crystallized descaler - higher concentration sulfamic & citric acid.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You need days, and I typically and swapping in fresh vinegar during the soak to keep the acid levels high.

I ALWAYS neutralize with water/baking soda mix.

Anything acidic will work. The weaker it is the longer it will take. Coca Cola will work too. Vinegar will take days or weeks depending on condition.

And of course last night the small tube came off of the can of carb cleaner and dropped into the tank. Can’t see it and don’t know how to get it out.

Ive used vinegar in several tanks and Ill tell you a few things.

Temperature makes a huge difference. the hotter it is the quicker it will work, if its below 50(Fahrenheit) in a garage its going to take several days before you will really see a difference. However if its 90+ and sitting in the sun it will work much faster.

A mixture of distilled water and baking soda will neutralize the acid once you are done, just rinse it out throughly. I also fog the tank with WD40 to be safe.

to make the process a little faster you can fill the tank with bolts or nuts or whatever and shake it around.

So vinegar will work, its a great option if you have plenty of time and dont want to put much money into it(or if the tank wasn't bad to begin with and you just want a light clean). you can even pour out the vinegar once a day, use an old tshirt to filter out all the crap its picked up, and then return it to the tank and repeat the process. If you have 15 extra dollars though, go buy a jug of Evapo Rust and you will save alot of time and effort and keep the project moving along.

Surface rust I use vinegar, I wick out the residual fluid so I dont bother with baking soda after vinegar, worse that a little surface rust I use Evaporust.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Ken Filchak Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> And of course last night the small tube came off of the can of carb

> cleaner and dropped into the tank. Can’t see it and don’t know how to

> get it out.

Leave it, not like it's going anywhere

My brother did a Vespa tank with vinegar and got distracted and forgot about it. A month later it wasn't a tank anymore, lol.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> My brother did a Vespa tank with vinegar and got distracted and forgot

> about it. A month later it wasn't a tank anymore, lol.

Chances are good the rust was holding that tank together. I've left vinegar in for over a month (yes I forgot about it) and had a shiny clean tank with no leaks afterwards.

Vinegar's good for budget, but I'm pretty impressed with Evaporust. Youtuber 'Hand Tool Rescue' guy swears by it.

Search 'Oxalic Acid' on here and check out the post by PD, looks to work a treat.

Ice cubes melt. Nuts and bolts do not.

Turns out there is so much rusty crud than I am considering using the hose to try to get it out. Thoughts?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Do that after you let it soak with vinegar for a few days. You have to be patient.

Shop vacuum , with a section of garden hose taped to the end of the regular hose .

That allows fairly deep probing .

Then maybe vinegar or here's the write up with pics Ryan mentioned :

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,4160423,4160423#msg-4160423

Captain Janeway /

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_rust_from_a_gas_tank

If using vinegar, like Lar said above, be patient. Changed out vinegar on mine everyday for about five days then used the baking soda wash and alcohol to dry it faster. Nice and clean, works fine.

the one really bad tank I had I used Evaporust.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Everyone does the differently but evaporust works awesome and you can reuse it if it doesn’t get too cruddy. Worth the extra bucks imho. Just make sure to fill the tank with gas right after so no chance of flash rust.

I'm a fan of stronger acid because I'm impatient. I did a crusty Vespa tank with muriatic and it only needed about a half hour

I had good luck with vinegar this summer. I put it out in the sun during the day and also hooked up a little fish tank compressor to it, so it would percolate and help break up the sludge. Worked pretty good.

Google phosphoric acid. Its made for steel, iron and concrete prep. Home depot, Lowe's, and tractor supply sell it. I tried it after fighting with flash rust repeatedly. Its the phosphorus that leaves a coating that prevents flash rust. NO FLASH RUST EVER! Works faster than vinegar. Keep it off of paint work. If splashed on paint just promptly rinse with water. If you don't it will spot paint. You can clean chrome but if its left on too long it will erode the nickel finish dull. Keep all acids away from soft non ferrous metals like aluminum, copper, nickel (chrome) and brass.

20151229_021623.jpg

(edited)

> Ken Filchak Wrote:

> Turns out there is so much rusty crud than I am considering using the

> hose to try to get it out. Thoughts?

If you're feeling frisky fill that tank with hot ass water. Let sit for ahile till it cools down to room temp. Dump then refill with crushed ice and cold water. Shake the living shit out of it. Dump and rinse. Whats that?? Didnt get all the ice out? Run hot water in it again to melt. Don't waste your time on bb's, rocks, sticks, bolts or nuts.(edited)

What sort of alcohol to use to remove final water rinse?

Ken

> Ken Filchak Wrote:

> What sort of alcohol to use to remove final water rinse?

>

> Ken

grab any flavor of drigas. I think yellow is methanol, red is isopropyl (may have that reversed). either will mix with water and then evaporate.

or you could raid the medicine closet for the iso.

I used 30% phosphoric acid on mine. Poured about a liter (couple of pints) into the tank, closed it and shook it to make every surface inside wet. Then left it for 20 min outside (+24°C/75°F). Came back and reshook couple of times. After about 2 hours poured the acid out and with a garden hose rinsed it properly and then put it into +50°C/122°F oven to dry out (without the cap).

No, trace of rust anymore, only a nice grey phosphate coating left inside. Then poured fresh 3% 2-stroke mix inside to prevent condensation getting into my rust free tank.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account