Grounding wires

Drake Abrahamsson /

On the wiki, it says that we can ground our wires to the frame which will go back to the stator thanks to the conductivity of the metal frame. Is there any advantage to grounding the wires directly back to the stator ground? I know I know, there’s twice the amount of wire. That doesn’t really bother me as much as having a ground issue. Any disadvantages to this technique besides having twice the wire?

Re: Grounding wires

Personally I prefer to move frame grounds to the engine block via fresh wiring. This way I remove any variables like paint, corrosion, lack of contact from rubber engine mount bushings, etc on either contact point of the ground. I usually go a few gauges larger for grounding wires too cuz why not?

Drake Abrahamsson /

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Personally I prefer to move frame grounds to the engine block via fresh

> wiring. This way I remove any variables like paint, corrosion, lack of

> contact from rubber engine mount bushings, etc on either contact point

> of the ground. I usually go a few gauges larger for grounding wires too

> cuz why not?

I’m not sure if I understand. Do you do what I am wanting to do? Or do you attach all of your ground wires, let’s say, to a fin on the cylinder? I think we have the same thoughts about removing variables through surefire connections.

I've always understood that the engine block is the ground, and that the frame can work as a ground since it is connected through a conductive material to the engine block (usually the engine mounting bolts or just the snug connection of the frame around the engine mounts.) I don't necessarily run all grounds from a single point where the stator connects the engine block, I usually choose a location based on what works and looks good on the make/model I'm building. I prefer not to mount to the cylinder only because it becomes one more thing to remove/remember when replacing gaskets or checking the rings, and on most bikes it looks kind of messy attached there IMO

Really not necessary to parallel a ground (common) for all of your electrical components, normally.

If the motor is mounted on any anti vibration rubber then you just need a bonding strap between the engine and the frame. Except for Motobecane (with thier unfortunate and very shytty placement of the bonding strap between upper engine mount and external coil) most manufacturers have the common (ground) situation well thought out. Moby cure is just to add a new bonding strap.

IF you have decided to use stainless steel fasteners on your bike you may find the shytty conductivity of stainless to be an issue with some of your electrics. Similar issues can occur if you repaint a bike and there is no metal contact patches made for electrical bonding.

Drake Abrahamsson /

Looked at my bike & found a good spot on the engine block. Thanks!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account