Peugeot 103 1977- CDI help

89371165-BB9A-401A-A1E8-F918767AC427.jpeg
89371165-BB9A-401A-A1E8-F918767AC427.jpeg

Help please!

I acquired a 1977 Peugeot 103 and am in the process of restoration. As part of that restore I need to correct the CDI situation.

I have read that I should put a Puch CDI on the bike, but then see treats offers the Motobecane CDI conversion.

My question is: what is the best economical route to go? If Puch off what bike? What parts do I need? Does the Motobecane from treats offer a solid solution? Is there a simpler upgrade of the CDI. Yes I have seen myrons and the tutorial but wondering what else a guy can do in this situation.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am lost. I attached a picture of what I have now.

Re: Peugeot 103 1977- CDI help

u have points, this issued ignition system is well covered in the peugeot ignition thread. search.

First off what you have is a points style ignition. I would try to dope out what you have ant try to get spark with it first. Look for a wire schematic in the WIKI.

Here are some guides for setting the timing and points.

set timing

condenser mod

Will try tomorrow and see what I come up with. The wiring harness has a rectifier on it and it is a 2 coil with points. What I don’t have is a CDI to attach to?

I ordered the Motobecane/ Peugeot treats package tonight with CDI. Hopefully that will help solve my issue.

> Ruben F Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Will try tomorrow and see what I come up with. The wiring harness has a

> rectifier on it and it is a 2 coil with points. What I don’t have is a

> CDI to attach to?

>

> I ordered the Motobecane/ Peugeot treats package tonight with CDI.

> Hopefully that will help solve my issue.

No you have points. You have a primary coil what you need is a secondary coil.

Not a cdi(edited)

oooo the early two coil ignition. Works great when it is serviceable but looks like there was trouble with the repair on the high tension coil.

Looks like the previous attempted repair on the HT coil is shorting out where the yellow tape is rubbing through, likely there is a short to the flywheel. If you remove the tape and check the solder job under the tape,make sure it is not a horrible huge blob of solder. If it is twist together then you will need to scrape the insulation off the magnet wire and solder the connection well to that blue jumper wire and make sure it can be tucked out of the way for flywheel clearance.

To do a external condenser mod to this you would wire the blue jumper direct to the points along with the kill switch wire. Outside the magneto you would need to splice a replacement condenser (either GM-Delco 6 cylinder mid 1960s or VW-Bosch similar vintage vintage are good because they have a bracket included) to the kill switch wire, and attach the bracket for it in a convenient location that is bonded electrically to the motor. Good place for it is the back of the stator plate.

Pretty grimey in that magneto, so use some brake cleaner and get rid of that oily dity crap before you start. After you are done, set the gap and the spark initiation and you should have goodly spark.

Thank you! I will follow those directions and see what I can come up with.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account