Peugeot Vogue / 103 Variator question

460F9AF9-C7DF-4604-8AE2-1907C092E4E6.jpeg

I recently acquired a Peugeot Vogue and rebuilt the engine with a Polini cdi Crank, polini 70 kit, sha 15 w/ Polini intake and reeds. The engine runs fantastically but the variator needs rebuilding. So:

I am looking for a thorough explanation of the mechanics of the 103 Variator. I just like to understand these things so i can diagnose problems correctly. This is my first Peugeot.

My main question is, do BOTH cheeks of the variator move inward toward the belt independently of each other? One side actuated by a set of hinged weights and the other a ball/ramp mechanism? Or do these parts work in tandem at the same time? Can you tune each side separately to control different stages of variation? Thanks for your time.

Re: Peugeot Vogue / 103 Variator question

Flyweights are for the variator, the balls are for the clutch.

Ohhhh, that seems so simple now. I am having an issue with the variator where it will not fully open again after variating. I also think the variator has too much play (about 1mm in and out). I assume those parts have just not moved in a long time and need some oiling but so far on blaster has not done the trick. It seems I’ll need to tear it apart and add a shim. I’m a little foggy on where exactly the shim should go within the variator. Thank you!

I was just commenting in the other vogue thread, pretty sure this is the one I had. In fact I'm certain. Had the 77 house kit, they recast the airsal from some china supplier but had some other supplier make the pistons, so they didn't actually match and the ring sat squarely in the exhaust.

It caught on the way down and would pop a chunk off the top off the piston. I lost one kit before I realized it and then put a new piston in minus the top ring, bottom ring alone was enough to run ok

Damn that thing looks stolen.

just take it apart and clean it up, youll probably notice something wrong. Does your engine spring have good spring to it?

The way I learned how the variator functions is I got the bike going down the road at different speeds high and low while staring straight down at the variator.

I dont really remember anything after that though.

This will help with the assembly and parts terms.

> LL danktip Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Damn that thing looks stolen.

LOL, why you say?

Sean, what makes you think it's not variating all the way? How far is the belt riding up on the pulley?

It’s not moving too far up the pulley, it looks like the belt could move at least half an inch farther , then, when you let off the throttle the belt doesn’t move back down to the bottom of the variator like it should. I’ll have it apart soon and get everything cleaned up.

For the sake of transparency, this bike was found abandoned in an apartment parking lot in Atlanta. I spoke to a tenant living in a nearby apartment and after he disclosed that the bike had been sitting for the 3.5 years he had lived there he reached out to a Facebook group with many of the tenants of the apartment complex. The only replies were people saying that the bike (and the many other abandoned bikes on the property) was an eyesore. Then I spoke to some swoops who had known about the bike and told me that nobody knew whose bike it was and it was sitting for at least 5 years. All that said, if anyone knows who the previous owner was (with proof), put me in touch. I will also say that there was a severed bike lock hanging inside one of the wheels so perhaps it was stolen and stashed there all this time after someone couldn’t get it started. Any leads let me know, I’ll try to make it right.

is your belt loose at rest? is your contra spring not stiff enough? post a video revving it on the center stand.

Stop with the PB Blaster to try to lubricate the variator and clutch balls.

Get a repair and parts manual for the 103. Open up the variator and free up the flyweights so they pivot easily. Clean the shaft so the movable cheek can move its full travel easily. Clean the crap out of the clutch so the balls can do their job.

Make sure the belt you reinstall is long enough.

Make sure the engine can pivot.

Took the variator apart, the movable cheek was indeed stuck on the hub. Cleaned it out and lightly sanded down the surfaces and it’s moving pretty good now. The weights are moving, but not loosely. Their is some resistance that feels like it’s built-in. In your experience, are those hinges supposed to be nice and loose? It’s variating now and the movable cheek is going back into its resting position. The engine is shaking pretty violently at high rpms so I’ll have to dial that in. Belt tension is good, spring tension feels right. I’ll be back at it tonight and this weekend.

Yes the hinge for the flyweights are supposed to be free to move but not to rattle.

Frenchies are a bit temperamental at first to get running sweet, but when you get them set up they are so super excellent to ride.

> Sean Colvin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Took the variator apart, the movable cheek was indeed stuck on the hub.

> Cleaned it out and lightly sanded down the surfaces and it’s moving

> pretty good now. The weights are moving, but not loosely. Their is some

> resistance that feels like it’s built-in. In your experience, are those

> hinges supposed to be nice and loose? It’s variating now and the movable

> cheek is going back into its resting position. The engine is shaking

> pretty violently at high rpms so I’ll have to dial that in. Belt tension

> is good, spring tension feels right. I’ll be back at it tonight and this

> weekend.

Like Rebel says, loose but not rattle. You can see that the fly weights pivot on little rubber blocks that prevent rattles

I have seen photos of these rubber blocks, however mine are missing! I have a friend with a couple stock variators. I may throw one on and try it out. Thanks for the replies, guys! Another strange problem is that my Dellorto Sha 15 keeps ejecting itself. The clamp gets tight enough that the carb won’t move by hand but after a little while at high rpm’s it shimmies right off! Perhaps I’ll buy a new plastic shim. It’s a Polini intake btw. I’ve heard spigot setups are ideal on these, so maybe i’lll do that fib i decide to keep the bike.

It’s running great now. Tightened up the motor mounts and messed around with some jets. The rattling is actually a broken piece of the baffle inside the exhaust shaking around like crazy. Either I’ll get a friend to cut it and weld a new one on or replace the pipe. Still should probably pull apart that variator and find out why the weight arms don’t move so well. I personally think it’s variating appropriately, but I worry about one weight’s hinge being stiffer than the other’s, causing an imbalance/ extra vibrations. This thing rips super hard! My Instagram is snclvn if you want to see a little clip of it running.

What is happening to your carb is you still may have the stock intake on the motor. The stock intake is cast off set so that it works perfect for the gurtner. The carb is hitting your swing arm when it variates down. If you run a Del 15mm you need to also switch to an aftermarket center cast intake that keeps the 15mm in the center so It wont hit the swing arm and get wrestled off.

The same thing happens to gurtner carbs if you try to run them on an aftermarket center cast intake, the carb rubs and gets kicked off.

This is a unshakeable rule people. I have spoken.

In the picture the stock Peugeot intake is on the right and you can see the offset. The one on the left is aftermarket Malossi and sits dead center.

compareintakes001.JPG

My previous post may have been out of ignorance. The Vogue may have the short sing arm that pivots at the pedal shaft . I have 103 on the mind.

Cheetah, the Vogue does in fact have the short swing arm! I have a Polini intake. I think perhaps I didn’t have the carb all the way onto the intake. I also replaced the shitty Philips screw on the Sha with an Allen bolt. Got it a bit tighter now!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account