15mm Bing clone issue

I have found a problem with Bing clone carbs that I figured I would pass on to others. The machine work is poor and needs small fix’s so here’s a fix I found.

I was having problems with vacuum leaks between the carb top and the top of the carb even with a two gaskets on it so found I put the carb on a wet stone and worked at back & forth till it was flat. With luck this will fix it and it might help others.

IMG_0422.JPG

Re: 15mm Bing clone issue

Richard Eberline /

I do that on all my carbs. At least 30 years worth. I also do intakes.

> Richard Eberline Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I do that on all my carbs. At least 30 years worth. I also do intakes.

Are you saying that you've always bought 'lesser' quality carbs ? ;)

I think he's saying it's a good thing to do with any carb.

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> I think he's saying it's a good thing to do with any carb.

That's what I figured , too . But , there is the possibility that he buys crap carbs and makes them into good serviceable pieces . ;)

I was just wondering aboot the carb top, Is the clone top poorly cast and need to be worked as well or will the gasket seal it off?

Bought one the other day as well, idle adjustment screw sits at an angle so it doesnt even contact the slide. Pure chinesium junk.

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> I was just wondering aboot the carb top, Is the clone top poorly cast

> and need to be worked as well or will the gasket seal it off?

You might get away with a gasket , but , I'd just flatten that top first and be done with it .

> P D Wrote:

> > Jeff Parr Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I was just wondering aboot the carb top, Is the clone top poorly cast

>

> > and need to be worked as well or will the gasket seal it off?

>

> You might get away with a gasket , but , I'd just flatten that top first

> and be done with it .

I was thinking of using two gaskets for a better seal. the clone and the OEM are really too thin so the crush bad in some areas.

Overpriced Parts /

Ya smooth it make a thicker top cap gasket if it makes you happy but I found it hardly ever matters, some of my Bing carburetors don’t even have top gaskets, if a bit of air comes in before the jet and needle it really don’t matter other than maybe getting dirt or filth in, But after the intake connection that’s when the air leak counts because the carb gas mixture is diluted with air,

The modded but stock cylinder magnum XK Eberling rode when he was out here has no top gasket and maybe even a bit of a leak by the choke area runs perfect and will idle for hours, I’ve had the screws vibrate loose and the top cap of a 14mm bing was barely laying there with a 1/8 inch gap and I hardly noticed a difference in the running of the bike

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

^ Yep. I don’t even bother with that gasket.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I've never had a problem with any sort of cone carburetor. I buy the 15$ 15mm dellorto clones and the only thing I don't like is the shim.

huh, i've never really thought much about that leak. good call

Worst proble I had with a clone bing is there's a little metal tab pressfit into the side of the carb for the slide alignment. I'm pretty sure real bings are the same way, just not as shitty. well the thing just fell in. at first it mustve caught on the bottom of the slide and kinda started to fall in, it stuck the slide and basically pinned it wide open. I was still trying to open close the throttle hoping to snap it closed and it fell out the rest of the way. made it thru the cylinder somehow without damaging anything, mustve blown out the exhaust, but that's purely luck. imagine seizing a bike cuz the cheap carb disassembled itself.

that and cracking the clamp at normal tightness, and basically needing every internal part replaced with old OEM bing parts anyway because thyere all the wrong size slides and needle shapes and atomizers etc.

In my opinion anything after the choke needs to be sealed or it will allow non metered air in aka vacuum leak, by not using a top gasket air will flow around the slide causing a rich or lean problem. I think one of the biggest issues with leaks around the carb top other than the poor machining is over tightening the top and causing a slight bow to the top.

Any carb top should be 'good & tight' ( snug ) , but , no gorilla torques allowed .

My findings

First. the Bing 15mm clone has some poor machining and needs small corrections done to it. Remove the carb and strip it down then run the top of the carb over a wet stone till it nice and smooth then clean the hell out of it.

Second. The clone carb top is thinner than the OEM so the clone top will bow a small amount when it’s tightened up so if you have a OEM top use it.

Third. Both the OEM and the clone top gaskets are really thin so buy them in two’s and double stack them for a leak free carb.

I also started making my own intake gaskets since the Treats gaskets are thin and junk.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account