Why is my Tomos such a piece of shit?

Had to take the whole trans apart because some retard who designed it put a loose piece of wire called a "sprag clip" in there. Smart move. Then go to put it back together, now it won't fucking pedal forward and sounds like the trans is about to fall apart when you decel. For a 50cc 2 stroke, they figured out how to make it complicated enough to be garbage. Good job Tomos, no wonder you went out of business..

Re: Why is my Tomos such a piece of shit?

OH! and it leaks all the tranny fluid out even though i put a new gasket on it upon re assembly. If you want a free tomos, there will be one by the fucking dumpster in Bend oregon

Overpriced Parts /

Shame you got a bad one, probably neglected/fluid not changed when it was suppose to before you got it,

I’ve had several and none gave me problems even modified with performance exhaust and filters, only bought clean low mileage bikes to begin with but yeah some have factory defects,

Don’t give up, Do your best to rebuild it or post for a good engine on buy+sell

Sounds almost like its missing a shim .

They’re not that complicated, in fact they’re pretty damn simple. I bet you didn’t clean the surfaces of the cases off well enough to get a good seal. If it won’t pedal you may have jammed the claw collar instead if putting it in it’s home.

design n sell your own moped.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

That's common when you reassemble it that little? Spring that is attached to the main counter shaft is so it smoothly downshifts if it's not there it won't smoothly downshift and the what you explain to me when you decelerate it sounds as though the roller bearings inside of your clutch Bell need to be replaced if you replace everything and get new shoes you'll be golden for probably like 20 years the trick is not letting it go to shit if you do proper maintenance there's no reason it will ever go bad you just replace the shoes the other part that's called a sprag clip goes on your penile shaft and it makes your kick start work and your pedals work so if you have a problem with either of those it's the sprag clip and it sits inside a little hourglass shaped hole in the center of the engine it has to be in that hole in the center of the engine or the bike will not function properly you also have to have the two washers on the pedal shaft or it won't work properly and that little? Spring yes solder it in place so that way if it does break it doesn't fall into the gears it's amazing if you think about it before you do it. ...

♣Slew Foot♣ /
A35transmission.jpg
A8B3CA19-2E07-488E-91B2-079C1B55A0A4.jpeg
A35transmission2.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /
a35kickstart.jpg
A35transmission3.jpg
A35transmission2.jpg

I was just about to start scrolling through the tomos parts fische on Steve’s mopeds trying to find part numbers to order off treats. I love this site.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I am psycho. Mental. I mean psychic...

Drive it till u break it I guess

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Actually the longer you let it go the more it's going to cost you at first it might just be a $2 spring you let it go. It's a $10 bearing you let it go again it's a $20 needle bearing you let it go again it's another $20 needle bearing mean while your Kickstarter cage is all crap. Then then you're main Drive bearing we'll go bad first your sprockets while wear out pop your chain when it downshifts. Eat gears when it shifts

Ive literally seen every tomos part fail except for the starter one way in the clutch bell. Some tomos of the later years have a problem where the teeth strip off the drive gear so it will still start back wards but forwards slips.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Tomos Rules... And they outlived pretty much every other 2 stroke moped brand for its day. If you assemble it correctly and do preventative maintenance they’re probably the most reliable moped out there along with Puch, atleast in my experience. Shimming is everything with Tomos

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah as long as every part is working and you blueprint it when you get it kitted then as long as you keep up on your maintenance especially your clutch and that stupid spring you solder and place you're golden that's why when they totaled my bike and offered me $800 I waited six months to get my bike back the damn motor I just reworked and son of a bitch I'll tell you what I can accelerate going up hills I mean drastically accelerate once you know the ins-and-outs of how that transmission works and you figure out your own little tricks and the tricks they use at the factory service place I mean I thought I knew everything until I seen the Tomas shoe tool that's from the factory it's kind of useless on my second gear but for the first gear it will reach you them but it will rishu them only if you reverse the pins so if you did it yourself it would be just like it was from the factory but if you brought it back toy Thomas dealer to get the clutch fixed they would have flipped the shoes and the pins and it's a whole different critter it isn't even so much replacing the Springs with tighter stuff instead it's just playing with the transmission fluid and the substrate of the shoe I've run everywhere from Marvel Mystery Oil with a little bit of Castrol synthetic transmission fluid I mean this stuff is super watery and it would grab but then again I've also used 170 weight gear oil or transfer fluid with Vibram and had really good results I've made my own composite epoxy Vibram brass shoes and had good results with normal 50 weight

I would say Honda whips Tomos all day long, they too have their quirks, but a much simpler driveline. Honda carbs are bitchy, but get it clean, run sea-foam in your pre-mix, maintain a clean tank and you are golden, stock belts are not easy to come by. Never had a Puch, but form what I have read over the years an e50 is much simpler as well.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The difference between a Honda Anna Tomas is a Honda will hardly ever break but when it does you're stuck whereas a Tomas will get you home it will ride in limp mode I have seen a Tomas transmission make 100 mile ride on bad bearings and broke Flex strip

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account