A35 goes fast! but not with me on it

I finally got the A35 running really well with the delorto carb and a 70 jet. It revs up fast when its on the stand but as soon as i try to ride it it bogs and dies, even when im going down a hill. is this a carb issue or mechanical? id love to get some hours on this bike before the winter really hits. thanks in advance!

Re: A35 goes fast! but not with me on it

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Clutch shoes worn out? Did you accidentally put Dura Lube in your tranny fluid? Did your sprocket come off your pedal where the chain is

I dont remember what the tranny has got in it but i know it doesnt have any additives. the sprocket is still intact. Any threads on checking the clutch shoes that you know of? thanks for the help!

Edit: I don't remember what the tranny has got in it but i know it doesn't have any additives. the sprocket is still intact. I will drain the fluid and start with something new, what fluid should i be using? and if my clutch turns out to be worn what do you recommend as a replacement? thanks for the help!

read tomos tranny "search" problems and report back w progress.

70 jet? Is it kitted? Which dellorto carb? Sha or phbg?

♣Slew Foot♣ /
A35transmission.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It could just be the nut came off the crank but you have to take it apart to do that you have to drain the oil take off the side cover remove all the screws take like a claw hammer and your wedge it between where the oil gets filled and the frame and give it a nice firm pop and it should come off in one piece two washers are going to go flying probably you're not that was loose you're going to have to either reuse or get new gaskets for the transmission cover if you need new shoes you could order them but it's a bitch to put them all together if you can get the whole Hub with the clutch shoes on it or if you feel Brave you can go up into the wickiup top and see how to Richelieu them yourself but if you're a newbie you're better off just getting the whole unit with the shoes on it the Hub the brakes trips and the spring

I believe its a sha, it has a biturbo performance exhaust. I asked the guy i bought it from if he had the stock and he didnt :(

I may have confused you with my post. The engine revs and the rear wheel spins like it should ( correct feedback from the using the throttle) but as soon as i pull the rear brake or even let it coast down to a slow enough speed for me to drop the tire on the ground and get on the engine bogs and dies. so im assuming the clutch is engaging, maybe its stuck engaged? but i dont think its spinning on the shaft.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Did you disengage the auto choke sometimes the metal flap on the choke get stuck and I can't get enough air and it will just die but if you mean the moped won't move under load it may be in the transmission I would start at Fred's guide up in the wiki and work your way through get yourself the manual the service manual not the owner's manual

♣Slew Foot♣ /

but from the sound of it like you what you're saying the way it soon as it gets off the stand and shuts off it could be a loose ground and every time you get on it it gets pinched sort of like the Three Stooges curly deal then again it could be an electrical thing are your bulbs all working if it's a points model the taillight and headlight have to work 4 the ignition to work properly sometimes you'll have a cracked resistor in the housing of your tail lamp then the bike will not idle and it'll be hard to start unless you hold in the front brake

I was kind of wondering about it being electrical. the headlight comes on with higher revs, but i have no turn signals. I will check the out the guide and check on my wiring. thank you!

It sounds like it is your clutches. Pull the side cover and inspect them. I bet something broke. Symptoms sound like a hung clutch.

> Tobi Lizzi Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I may have confused you with my post. The engine revs and the rear wheel

> spins like it should ( correct feedback from the using the throttle) but

> as soon as i pull the rear brake or even let it coast down to a slow

> enough speed for me to drop the tire on the ground and get on the engine

> bogs and dies. so im assuming the clutch is engaging, maybe its stuck

> engaged? but i dont think its spinning on the shaft.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

What year is it and does it have a square box attached to the spark plug wire or a rounded one with a square metal frame around it?

Its an 02. do you mean the coil? here is the partnumber 16.754114

I appreciate all the help. today I finally got around to getting the case off, the clutches all look great (cork clutch pads). I am going to put some new fluid in and then check my grounds and any loose connections.

20191013_125848.jpg
20191013_125903.jpg
20191013_125909.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

When you put it together make sure that the can opener shaped thingy on the pedal shaft is in between the case halves in the hour glass. Shaped hole when you put it together or else it won't kick start or pedal forward right also make sure that both of those washers are on the pedal shaft they're crucial if you adjust the thickness of those it will make it pedal better or worse depending stock is usually good when you go to put it on put the bearing the small one that goes on the crank on the crank gently tapping until it's flush if it's in the case leave it in when you put it back together if you have it all right it shouldn't be hard to put together you don't want to greatly Force anyting you want to gently wiggle stuff and it should just fall in place

Oh yeah it went together smoothly, with the brake spring in the right spot.

question! The first gear clutch is the inner or outer clutch?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

First the first section of the manual shows the transmission and how it functions in each of the gears I do believe you travel on the one on the inside and the one on the outside is the one that accelerates you up

Yeah I saw that. though I dont understand the parts in black.

Man if that's a stock a35 that #70 jet is way too big. Listen to slew i think is who said 53-62 jet.

It had a 65 I think before I cleaned it. I'll try it again.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

yeah if that doesn't cure it The Next Step would be to turn it over by hand and while doing that have your thumb over the intake and see if it sucks as well as blows...

if that's all good then what you'll do is take the head off the cylinder and with your thumb or finger try to wiggle the piston in any direction if it does move if it can move around you need new rings and once you pull it and discover you need new rings you will see streaks down the sides of the piston and that will show you where you're getting what they call Blow by

Ok, it shouldn't be having any blow by. I put new rings and a new piston in it a couple years ago when I built it for the guy I bought it from.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If you're having the problem it's a set diagnostic procedure

did u put gaskets on both sides of the reed block when u built it 2 yrs ago?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Could be something as simple as a clogged jet or a clogged gas cap vent could be the intake oil line blocker is out or the oil reservoir wasn't bypassed and the lines are fouled.

Are you saying that it runs fine it's just has no torque?

If that's the case it's either the nut on the end of the clutch Bell is loose or came off or your shoes are all worn out or lastly the nut came off of the final drive sprocket ie the one on the engine the net worked itself loose letting the plate move freely

I think I only have one gasket on there! I need one top and bottom?

Yes it runs fine with the rear wheel off the ground. I wish there was a slot and woodruff key for the shaft and clutch bell, but I dont think it is slipping, I will have to open it up again and check the torque.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account