78 Free Spirit - Major Gas Leak from Crank case / head

Hey all,

Was riding today and the engine randomly cut out, I pulled over to see gas rapidly dripping off the bottom of the crack case / head area. It's hard to see exactly where it's coming from, but it continued to leak after the engine died. Obviously the moped will not start and it sure seems like the gas is coming from the engine. Wondering if anyone has any ideas? It's a lot of gas coming out, is it possible for a large amount of gas to make it through the carb into the engine without the engine running? Trying to pinpoint the issue before taking things apart.

I have a 70 cc airsal cyinder kit w/ 45mm head and it was running great until today.

Any expertise is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: 78 Free Spirit - Major Gas Leak from Crank case / head

Are you sure it's not coming from the carb and dripping down onto the engine?

Re: 78 Free Spirit - Major Gas Leak from Crank case / head

I'm with Nick. I think it's highly unlikely it's actually coming from the case. It's most likely that's the path the fuel is traveling from the carb.

Check all fuel lines, float bowl seal, float bowl pin.

I'd take the carb off turn on the gas and see if and where it's leaking from on carb. Start there and I think you'll find your problem. At the least you can then eliminate the carb as a source of the problem.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account