Air leak in intake manifold

How bad is having a air leak in your intake manifold and what is the consequence? It's running better than before now but it's a little bit louder.(edited)

Re: Air leak in intake manifold

Consequence? burning a piston from running lean and destroying the cylinder.

So what would u do in the meantime add more oil to the mix? Am before I replace the intake and gasket or leave it be?

This is on a old puch I just picked up for 50 bucks

Fix it or blow it. its your choice.

Where is it on the intake. If it’s the flange I would lap the intake and replace the gasket. If it’s at the clamp it’s not the end of the world. Most bings get ovaled on the clamp from being over tightened, if you push it on hard when you tighten it down it will usually cure it enough to not be an issue.

50 bucks ?

Makes no difference if you paid 500 bucks . Still the same .

The fix is pretty much free , but for a little time . Leave it alone and the cost will be time and money wasted .

Maybe you have more money than brains . If so , don't worry about it . Just buy another bike , with no problems . ;)(edited)

listen to your gut before its too late.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

it only takes 5mins to pull that intake, sandpaper on a flat surface to even out the flange (probably warped a bit) and you could cut a new gasket from a cereal box type cardboard to fix the leak. All free fixes.

Vacuum leak anywhere on a engine will kill your free, trade for a 18 speed bike, 50$, 200$, 800$, swap for the old Suzuki Sidekick or 1500$ killer moped's engine.

Unless badly warped a new gasket between intake and engine will cure a leak.

Same for the carb to intake union if it is a flange.

Union between a intake and a clamp on carb should always have a oring in there, then just make sure you shove the carb on there goodly.

The part that hooks up to the jug is like offset or something you can tell because if I screw in one side the other side is raised a little and the o th her way around. Guess it is warped. Gasket is in good condition. So what can I do? Sand some more to make it even?

I use a fine wide metal file for this kind of stuff, just take your time and go slow or if your not sure then get a new intake and gasket.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. File it to even it out and hopefully that will work.

Jeffrey Strichart /

> a p Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> if I screw in one side the other side is raised a little

I think the problem is in how he is tightening it. If you screw it down tight on one side first this will happen. You need to tighten them equally at a time. Never tighten one side of anything before the other side(s) are tightened because you will get a leak. Fortunately you can usually fix it by simply starting over and tightening everything evenly.

Yeah but u cant when one side is stripped out and u cant tighten it. That's another issue here besides it being warped where it connects. I'm gonna have to use a tap for a new bolt to be screwed in properly. Not a big deal to do but like was said before in this thread it has to be done very carefully.(edited)

If one side can't be tightened , that's most likely your main problem .

Jeffrey Strichart /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If one side can't be tightened , that's most likely your main problem .

That IS the problem.

Alright I'm gonna work on it tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks fellas.

Brad William /

Put a square of 150 grit or so on a pane of glass and sweep the manifold over the sandpaper being veeeeeery careful hold the flat face of the manifold flat against the sandpaper as you go. After you've got it planed out (check against a straight edge as you go) finish if off with some finer grit.

Fixed it thanks bro

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account