NU50 Fork Dust Covers

The rubber dust covers on the fork of my NU50 are cracked and I want to replace them, but I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement yet. Based on photos of other NU50s that I have seen, this appears to be a common issue. I saw in other posts that people have looked in the past, but I never saw if a good replacement was found. Has anyone found a good replacement for the stock NU50 dust covers?

I did see in a thread where someone used vinyl caps as replacements. I'd prefer the real thing, but these caps might be a decent option.

nu50DustCover.jpg

Re: NU50 Fork Dust Covers

Captain Janeway /

Like those alternates. I don't often (if ever) pull the forks, so on my cracked ones I've just wrapped a thick zip tie around. Prevents them from breaking off the rest of the way.

I like the idea of the vinyl caps too. At least I know there is something out there if I can't find regular dust covers. Mine are just cracked right now, but they are trying to hang in there. I noticed that after my last trip around the block that one of them had moved itself down after the forks compressed. I was thinking about electrical tape or a zip tie as an interim fix. I was just hopeful that someone else had found real dust covers that fit.

Here's another option to the keeping the originals in place as long as possible :

Cut a couple sections of an old bicycle inner tube to desired length . Just slip them over the OEM dust shields . You'll likely have to stretch them to get them over the shields . Trim excess . Done .

And , usually , the 'fix' even looks decent . ;)

I've used the same 'method' to extend the work life of handlebar grips that have cracked from sun rot , with excellent results . :D (edited)

That's a good idea too, and it would probably allow a little more flexibility. I'll have to keep this one in mind as well. Thanks for the tip.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account