Urban express crank seals?

Hi all so I got a urban and its not running great now. It chews up gas like water and it fouls plugs every 5-50 miles. I removed the oil pump from the system, which didn't help. It also seems to bog at full speed. I saw some of churioz26's videos and it seems I may need a left side crank seal? Are there any other seals I'll need? Also how do I remove the gear without effing up my crank shaft? Am I on the right track? The carb is so clean I could eat out of it so I'm scratching my head.

Re: Urban express crank seals?

You really gotta rebuild it if you're replacing those seals, do the bearings too.

When you removed the oiler, how'd you do it? Specifically if you left anything open, like on the intake, that's an airleak. gotta close off all the ends completely.

might be float overfilling, does that have a petal valve petcock?

There's a bimetal strip for the choke, you might need to block all those lines off also.

I pulled the oil tank and line then I sealed up the intake, then I removed the line connecting the carb to it and sealed those two things off as well. Yeah the valve is on there, the previous owner said he replaced that and the fuel lines along with filter. What issues can that cause pedal valve cause besides no fuel? How do I test the choke? It revs really high when first started I wanted to add that too. Would a bad seal cause me to suck down gas?

Captain Janeway /

Is your bike kitted? Kitted bikes will cut your gas mileage in about half.

I'd change both sides. Note they're different sizes

At least my flywheel puller had a little cap that could be slipped over the crank to keep it from splitting. This one's an example because the size is M24x1.5 RH internal thread.

people get the old seal out with hooks, spikes or whatever. I use a paint can opener. The new ones just press right in

Give a check again for any other air leak places, and what are your temps like? If they're blowing up past 400* quickly that sounds like an airleak

No it's all stock. I don't know how to check my engine temps. I haven't checked the auto choke maybe it's staying open/closed (don't know how they work tbh) all the time and making the mixture too rich? It's definitely running extremely rich. I'm not sure about the seals?

also I might add its barely getting 10-20mpg

Captain Janeway /

Was it ever running well? Check the manual for basic tune up or check Fred's guide in MA wiki

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vxdUocvohov-VU1KVuOY-9YquFpw7fok

The autochoke only works when you're first starting up. If you're running and it runs like crap it's something else especially since you have the oil pump out of the system. Some people have had problems with the autochoke, but I just never have on any of mine. There is a section on it and how it works in the manual.

what's your oil mix, and what's your plug look like when you pull it.

It would never go past 25 and it always was a little boggy. After about 50 miles I noticed the bike just wouldn't run because the plug was black with oil, every so often it does this. I've been doing 50:1 on supertech tcw3 (it said good for motorcycles) and then I switched to supertech full synthetic. The original owner was running full synthetic lucas oil for the oil pump when I had it going and it made 0 difference. I'm thinking it sounds like bad seals. I pmed you about the correct seals sizes. Trying to adjust the carb basically does nothing the idle is usually pretty weak but sometimes it isn't. I think this issue may be a air leak due to the seals.

Jack Rutherford /

Yep sounds like it is running too rich which is not unheard of on the stock Urban. I would try a smaller main jet. Assuming you have an 85 main jet in there, pick up an 82, an 80 and a 78 from treatland.tv. Try the 82 first and report back.

And it's not uncommon for a previous owner to drill the main jet bigger in the mistaken belief that that would make it go faster. I've had that happen. Had a 78 jet in an Express SR only to determine later that someone had drilled it out to a 92 or so. (edited)

Captain Janeway /

Jack has a good idea in checking that jet. Also by chance is it an Iowa model? Those only go about 25 without doctoring. Check were your model number and VIN are and see if there's an IA there.

The way you describe what the problems are I don't think that's it (esp. with the dirty plug) but you might as well check.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account