lubing cam lobe

Drake Abrahamsson /

I serviced my cam lobe due to points skipping a few weeks ago and I checked the service manual but could not find any specifics on what to use to lube it up. The point skipping stopped but now has returned, although not as bad. I initially replaced the felt and sprayed a very small amount of white lithium grease (WD-40 brand spray) on the cam lobe. The previously new felt is now dark where it touches the cam and it seems the part that opens the points that is in contact with the flywheel left a brown-red-ish streak on the widest section of the cam lobe (makes sense because that's where the most tension would be due to the coil that keeps the points closed otherwise). It didn't make a groove or anything, but I assume this means it wasn't getting properly lubricated. Ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Re: lubing cam lobe

Josiah Radebaugh /

There should be a little felt pad meant to hold a lubricant. I usually use grease.

Drake Abrahamsson /

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There should be a little felt pad meant to hold a lubricant. I usually

> use grease.

Just regular automotive red grease?

It's meant to be soaked with a thin machine oil.when I have it I use sewing machine oil or 3in1... But I have basically used everything from 30w to bearing grease with no problems.

White lithium is better used for lubing small sealed gearboxes and plastic rails, like on a vcr or laserdisc player...doesn't soak very well...and that wd40 brand stuff is 90% solvent (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

You remove flywheel, if rust pitted smooth it/spinning it in your hand with fine paper then grease cam, take pad out or Stator and reverse and or clean it, then oil the pad from time to time with motor oil in one of those old-time can pumps that you could find at garage sales and such that can reach in through flywheel

Never use WD-40/spray lubricant because most have solvents will dry out quickly plus any spray that you spray through the flywheel may get on the contact points reducing/removing spark,

The points itself has a pivot point made out of fiber material that can wear causing points jump too, if it’s worn badly you may have to change the points, I use graphite or bit of silicone and I guess you could try to get some grease in there maybe the kind that comes with the nos points set only) to lube that when flywheel is off again because you don’t want nothing to fling off of that into the contact points,

Yeah because original points could be over 40 years old it’s worth checking the play and everything while the flywheel is off,

Josiah Radebaugh /

I slather the pad in either that red stuff or any viscous tacky grease.

As mentioned, your supposed to use an oil of some sort.

Indeed, I have used 3in1 (which is 30w oil in an expensive container) for decades on all bikes for the cam wick. Dont use anything that is much thinner (can fly of and fiul the points) or thinner (can build up at the cam to lobe contact point, scrape off and stop lubing).

I dont know about any other fancy ass synthetic substitutions or concoctions because 3in1 works so there is nothing to reinvent or discover.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's meant to be soaked with a thin machine oil.when I have it I use

> sewing machine oil or 3in1... But I have basically used everything from

> 30w to bearing grease with no problems.

>

> White lithium is better used for lubing small sealed gearboxes and

> plastic rails, like on a vcr or laserdisc player...doesn't soak very

> well...and that wd40 brand stuff is 90% solvent

Josiah Radebaugh /

Graphite? Not trying to thread jack, but I just recently realized my felt wick is gone on one of my bikes... What can be used to replace/make a new one?

Stop at any fabric store and ask , nicely , for a 'sample' of their felt material .

They might just give it to you .

Then make your own lube pad . It can be layers thick , as long as it holds oil .

Felt furniture sliders at any hardware store. You can buy sheets, about 4”x6”, and they’re 1/4” thick. Cheap too.

Drake Abrahamsson /

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-sachs-points-piece-of-felt-p/puch-sachs-points-felt.htm

Here’s some super official money-back (not really) moped specific for tru rippers only felt. I bought this because I didn’t want to have to fiddle/scavenge specialty stores for something that might not be perfect. I spent the $4 on treatland that I would’ve spent in gas driving around to the nearest craft/fabric store.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ah yes, why didn't I think to look on the wonderful world of Treatland? Or a hardware store.

Or the bottom of your junk drawer . ;)

Richard Eberline /

oil pad then use a grease made for point's heel and cam lobe, In Europe it;s common.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account