Tomos main gear sprocket stripped out of the blue

Any idea of what caused it. I have been riding

.the bike for 2 years with out touching the sprokcet. I recently replaced the clutch pas and put on stiffer springs but it ran for several months with no problems. Anyone ever had a similar issue

Re: Tomos main gear sprocket stripped out of the blue

Maybe 2 years with no adjustment kind of 'out of the blue' ?

And , what condition was it in 2 years ago ?(edited)

I always use lock tight on the main gear nut for that reason. The vibration from normal use causes that nut to come loose and leak.

ive seen it a few times, gopefully your threads are not tore up. pita to change out that drive shaft. clean super good and goo up on reassembly, that special lock washer is nice as well. and the special nut w the seal is nice too.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I will check your one way clutch bearing it's probably beginning to go south also did you solder in your? Spring

What spring should I solder?

The nut holding the sprocket was still tight and the washer had the side bent up to keep the nut from loosening

20191005_015035.jpg

Ouch

never seen that before, sprocket probably wore out.

♣Slew Foot♣ /
A35transmission2.jpg

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I second this, I use high temp permatex on tomos sprocket nuts. (Get the seal nut from treats if you haven’t already works like a charm) I just checked up on my sprocket after a long ride earlier today and hasn’t moved for over a year now of heavy use and long trips.

I just did the same thing and most likely correct answer I was given was an overly tight chain.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account