Puch Maxi Stem Handlebar Conversion Confusion

So I'm trying to convert stem bars to regular as described here:

But, when I went to unscrew the bolts in the forks, it seems they're connected to the suspension itself? Feels I'm trying to screw out the springs inside. What's up? Any idea why my setup is different? Is there a workaround?

maxiconversion.jpg

Re: Puch Maxi Stem Handlebar Conversion Confusion

Yeah you'll unscrew the springs but it doesn't matter. Unscrew the bolts, then replace the top plate and screw the bolts back in. You might need to line up the threads for the springs with a screwdriver for reinstallation. Just don't crossthread them.

And if the bolts just keep turning and not coming out??

Sometimes the inside of the fork spring retainer itself spins with the bolts...you can get around that with a 3/8 drive impact gun w/13mm socket which shocks the bolt loose... AND...You still have to fish all the cables and wires out of the old plate and into the new plate...

Left fork tube looks bent at lower triple tree in pic.(edited)

Richard Eberline /

grind off top of the bolts, the washer is your buffer. Go slow and easy. With the top bridge removed, you can cc unscrew the spring assy. Then remove the rest of the bolt.

Take the front wheel off, drop the lower forks then grab the springs with a rag. the bolts should come right out. I had to do the same thing.

Is this what this should look like? I stuck a screwdriver up the top of the fork and I don’t see any springs...

92BC564F-A6BD-4A4F-9188-F781A6DA2E16.jpeg

Fix that bent fork while you're in there. Hell, both may be bent.

Screenshot_2019-09-30-21-43-35.png

(edited)

there is a spring in there somewhere, did it come out with the lower fork?

***Kim Jong illest*** /

his spring is obviously still stuck in the fork tube. the bolt is frozen and when he was twisting it popped out of its pinch and now is dangling in there. cut the bolt off if you want the spring to come back out but those forks are bent af and you really should just replace them

haha thanks all, i'm going to grab some new forks.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account