Can Voltage Regulators Go Bad?

Can a voltage regulator go bad? And if so, what might be the symptoms? Anyone?

https://www.treatland.tv/trail-tech-voltage-regulator-p/trail-tech-regulator-7003-ac01.htm

Re: Can Voltage Regulators Go Bad?

yes, but typically the low end ones rather than the nicer trail tech ones. symptom is blown bulbs.

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>symptom is blown bulbs.

Really? On a Puch? Can you explain?

Because the lights seem to work. For sure the headlight. Not terribly sure about tail but I’m not sure how blown bulbs would produce cutting out at mid-high rpm.(edited)

all a voltage regulator is supposed to do is regulate the voltage from your lighting coil. if it goes bad then that voltage is no longer regulated and your bulbs can blow, depending on what the output of your lighting coil is.

What symptoms were you looking for? Voltage regulator should have absolutely nothing to do with your ignition system(edited)

Right. That’s what I thought. I misunderstood you there for a sec. I’m just at the end with this issue.

The bike cuts out when I rev it up. It sounds and feels electrical. But I’ve replaced every single electrical part and nothing.

Actually, I haven’t tried dinking with timing. It could have slipped out.

Overpriced Parts /

> Tone It Down Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Right. That’s what I thought. I misunderstood you there for a sec. I’m

> just at the end with this issue.

>

> The bike cuts out when I rev it up. It sounds and feels electrical. But

> I’ve replaced every single electrical part and nothing.

>

> Actually, I haven’t tried dinking with timing. It could have slipped

> out.

If it was a late 70s early 80s model you should replace nothing because it’s bulletproof!

Yeah, it’s all custom built. Bout the only thing stock is the taillight.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

voltage regulators can also go bad by building up ohm resistance. in some cases the lights will slowly dim until they are barely working then one day BAM the whole unit stops working and all your bulbs burn out in a big flash

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Maybe it's the horn bypass thing sometimes it will Ark at hi RPMs the stock tail light might have a resistor in it if it was a cev

♣Slew Foot♣ /

There is also a blue wire that runs underneath the Poinsett sometimes it gets Baird and only acts up at high RPM but that would act like a bad condenser but you can start it right up

It’s a custom build so no horn or any other stock parts.

I’m not sure what a poinsett is...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account