Ignition system uncertainty

Drake Abrahamsson /

After moving up to school for the year, my moped has stopped working. Before I left I was messing with the carburetor trying to get it to stop leaking. I was able to do so by decreasing the amount of play between a brand new float and the float pin. Success. I took it for a few laps around my driveway before tying it up in the trailer along with a fridge and some chairs. It was running and responding to throttle fine. Now it won’t run for more than a few seconds IF that. Checked the spark and it isn’t as blue as I remember. If I need to start replacing ignition stuff, how do I know what is bad? Are there different symptoms for different gone-bad components? I.e. bad ignition coil vs. points vs. condenser. Thanks!

Re: Ignition system uncertainty

What moped and engine?

Drake Abrahamsson /

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What moped and engine?

My bad- e50 w/ treats 70cc kit, 14mm bing (72 jet), tecno circuit pipe, metal mesh air filter.

New spark plug?

Drake Abrahamsson /

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> New spark plug?

Tried a brand new NGK B7HS gapped to 0.018” and nothing better.

Will it run with the choke on?

Drake Abrahamsson /

No, it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Overpriced Parts /

Read this :

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing

it’s not just about timing but it tells you how to service your magneto

Drake Abrahamsson /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Read this :

>

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing

>

> it’s not just about timing but it tells you how to service your magneto

I replaced the felt as well as lightly sanded off some pitting on the cam lobe. Sprayed it with some white lithium grease and lightly wiped the excess off. I did this a few weeks ago and it ran better after that because the timing before was jumping all over the place at any RPM higher than idle.

maybe your horn got bumped into the fridge or chair bumping around on the trailer.

Drake Abrahamsson /

> pat splat Wrote:

> maybe your horn got bumped into the fridge or chair bumping around on

> the trailer.

No horn on this bike- it has spark and will run but barely and not for longer than a second so that leads me to believe the wiring is at least correct. I also checked the terminal connector box and nothing is loose.

Check that the exhaust is not clogged .

Drake Abrahamsson /

> P D Wrote:

> Check that the exhaust is not clogged .

Man I feel like I’ve done everything! The exhaust is nearly brand new but I cleaned it with some engine degreased and there was very little buildup on the inside walls. Truly scratching my head right now. Thank you everyone for the suggestions thus far!

Check the float level/float needle/pin again, make sure that the float bowl is actually filling up

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account