Interchangeability of 1985 and 1986+ Honda Elite 80 Carburetors

Kelvin Horton /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I picked up a 1985 Honda Elite 80 for $100 in disrepair. I tore down the carburetor only to find the float bowl entirely filled with white powdery chunks. The float bowl needle was completely fused to the body of the carb. I had to remove it with pliers. Upon removal of the needle, I could see the channel in which it resides was significantly larger than it was supposed to be. The replacement needle I bought just rattles loose inside the channel. Putting it back on the scooter will allow the bike to run but very poorly. My question is, can I just replace it with an 1986 or newer Elite 80 carburetor? You can buy a brand new reproduction of one for $60 on eBay, but I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to be compatible with my 1985. I know there was some changes from 1985 to 1986 with the vacuum piston but don't see why it shouldn't work. Any guidance would be great, thank you.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account