Interchangeability of 1985 and 1986+ Honda Elite 80 Carburetors

I picked up a 1985 Honda Elite 80 for $100 in disrepair. I tore down the carburetor only to find the float bowl entirely filled with white powdery chunks. The float bowl needle was completely fused to the body of the carb. I had to remove it with pliers. Upon removal of the needle, I could see the channel in which it resides was significantly larger than it was supposed to be. The replacement needle I bought just rattles loose inside the channel. Putting it back on the scooter will allow the bike to run but very poorly. My question is, can I just replace it with an 1986 or newer Elite 80 carburetor? You can buy a brand new reproduction of one for $60 on eBay, but I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to be compatible with my 1985. I know there was some changes from 1985 to 1986 with the vacuum piston but don't see why it shouldn't work. Any guidance would be great, thank you.

Re: Interchangeability of 1985 and 1986+ Honda Elite 80 Carburetors

Best thing I ever did for my CH80 was buy a honda oem carb. I Tried rebuilding the original carb but I coudnt get it to idle right or start easily.

The carbs should be very similar for all years of the CH80. Most of the Changes were other silly things that didn't effect power output of the engine. Any honda parts site should list year compatability.

check the part number, and the intake part numbers too. if theyre exactly he same should be same part #, if they fit the same intake the intakes might be same part #. also theres probably clones and the clones do a good job listing the dimensions at least for bolt holes and stuff which'd give you a clue

Careful with those carbs, I had bought one that looked correct but the choke solenoid was on the opposite side and hit the shock. Ended up just cleaning the og one.

Jack Rutherford /

Sure you don't have an 85 Aero?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account