bearings

Ken Powers /

Need help (don't know where to look) Am working on my first rebuild of a General 5 Star (1984)

Rear axel bearings are both frozen. I need to order new ones but don't know numbers or specs Help would be greatly appreciated. I guess I also need specs on front bearings, I will arbitrarily replace those too.

Thanks to anyone who might help.

kap

Re: bearings

Remove all bearings and take to a local bearing shop. If they dont have 'em they will order them.

Ken Powers /

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a bearing shop? Auto parts store?

You dont have a googler?

Dont waste your time at an auto parts store. Kaman, motion industries, applied industrial, ect...

Most bearings will have size stamped on them . Google those sizes and / or take them to a bearing / seal jobber , as live suggests .

Ken Powers /

Found no sizes buy Thanks Live for the redirection to Motion

Measure the bearings in mm = Inside diameter X outside diameter x Width

(metric is whole numbers so it you measure 9.8something it is a 10)

Using the inside and outside diameters, Google the size such as "Bearing 10x30"

That will return you the trade number (such as 6200 for 10x30x9) that you can use with anyone who sells bearings (and if they go 'huh' you are shopping at the wrong place) the only thing is you need to know the quality. C3 is usual for what you need if they ask quality. Sealed or not? Open bearing in this case is just "6200" (inside a gearbox or crankcase), for sealed self lubed bearings you can get rubber sealed bearings "6200-2RS" or steel shielded "6200-2Z" (sometimes listed as 6200-zz).

If you are trying to source a bearing for a special project or want to retro loose balls, you can go to https://www.vxb.com/ and search around their site for all bearings for 11mm shaft, or 30mm OD, etc. The standardized trade numbers of the bearings will be same same between suppliers.

myrons has a good description of bearings among lots of info

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account