Re: New to me, 63 Mobyelette AV88

John

Exactly which Gurtner carb do you have? The model and reglage changes a lot in the 60s-70s and sometimes the original is 'upgraded' to a more recent reglage if it was brought into a Motobecane concessionaire for servicing during its lifetime.

The model, reglage and date is stamped on the fuel bowl or plate just above the fuel bowl.

000-Dateoncarb.jpg

With the Moby only having around 600 miles on it I would think that the carb may not have been changed. I'm headed out to my workshop and will look at the carb and see if there are any markings. I also have a 58 AV88 that the carb it total rubbish but looks exactly like the one on the 63. But that project is way back in the list of projects.

John in Texas

Out in the shop now. The numbers off the carb on the 63 are AR13 488 O11/61 which I'm going to guess means October 11 of 61?

The numbers off the 58 are AR14 488bS 5/62 so that would mean that it was replaced sometime after it was originally sold by Montgomery Wards.

Thanks for your help and the info.

John in Texas

> John Ebert Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Out in the shop now. The numbers off the carb on the 63 are AR13 488

> O11/61 which I'm going to guess means October 11 of 61?

Maybe November . ;)

The older one must be hard to read, there is no AR2-14 size offered by Gurtner and reglage 488 is specific to the AR2-13, the reglage numbers are not repeated.

AR13 488 O 11/61 means it was produced on line O on November 1961

AR14 488b S 5/62 means it was produced on line S on May 1962

Gurtners need to have the needle valve surgically clean, so if the float seat has any dirt it will either not flow or not stop flowing. You can try blow air some gentle into the seat and check the point on the needle is not distorted or has a step worn in it.

Fuel will flow into the carb via the little auxiliary filter/sediment trap chamber then to the fuel bowl. Check the gauze on the saran filter in the sediment chamber is not falling apart and shedding little pieces of plastic.

Check carefully the brass jet, there are holes to the side of it as well as the hole that unions with the diffuser, the diffuser also has a couple of tiny tiny holes that need like a single strand of house speaker wire to chase out the hole.

There is no real 'gasket' kit for the Gurtners, there is only the figure 8 gasket for the fuel bowl/sediment trap and the fiber washer at the nut that holds the lid on. The figure 8 gasket needs to be good at the sediment filter portion of it but for the bowl it is just to stop fuel from sloshing out.

Here is pictures from the AV88 manual and the Gurtner catalogue so you have a visual reference. Hit me up if you need some of the frenchie translation for the parts or maybe a explain of how something operates.

Brian Aplin likely has the figure 8 gasket in stock andthe little washer under the nut, hemay even have a new jet if you need that...

reg488AV88.png
gurtner_ar13_488.jpg

Wow! You are a great source of information.

I think I have fat fingers the older one is AR13 488 S 5/62 and looks like something has been growing inside of it. Real nasty.

I have a set of carb cleaning tools and I have used them several times trying to sort out the carb on the newer one. Got two of the carb kits one for each bike awhile ago, and as you know nothing works. Did cut the gasket so I can use both parts of it to seal up the bowl and filter.

How do I contact Brian Aplin?

Thanks for you help.

John in Texas

Rebel is great, besides, he's the only one that doesn't just tell you to swap a Delorto on to it. Someday I' going to make one run with the Gurtner ... someday

gurtnergangster.jpg

> Kenneth Hill Wrote:

> Rebel is great, besides, he's the only one that doesn't just tell you to

> swap a Delorto on to it. Someday I' going to make one run with the

> Gurtner ... someday

John, it is a bummer to have to order from Europe (but worse if you also need to speak French to communicate) but fortunately there are goodly folk in England who have the goods.

Brian Aplin is in England but he will likely have the figure 8 gasket and whatever else is on your shopping list. Apin of Bristol has been in continuous business since 1959, first as Raleigh then Motobecane, now small mopeds and scooters. They have NOS everything. He is old school, no website, open Mon-Tue, Thurs-Fri during the day England time.

Telephone Brian Aplin on 0117 977 7376

OR

Try Mark Daniels at Mopedland - also in UK. He might have the gaskets or know who does.

http://www.mopedland.co.uk/spares.html

> John Ebert Wrote:

> Wow! You are a great source of information.

>

> I think I have fat fingers the older one is AR13 488 S 5/62 and looks

> like something has been growing inside of it. Real nasty.

>

> I have a set of carb cleaning tools and I have used them several times

> trying to sort out the carb on the newer one. Got two of the carb kits

> one for each bike awhile ago, and as you know nothing works. Did cut

> the gasket so I can use both parts of it to seal up the bowl and filter.

>

> How do I contact Brian Aplin?

>

> Thanks for you help.

>

> John in Texas

It lives! After throwing way to much money at the problem I have it running. With a new CDI unit and a Delarto carb it has come back to life. The first time in 56 years or there and about.

Thank you all for your help and insight. Got a little more to do before it is back on the road. It runs but doesn't want to pull with me onboard. Going to check the free wheel setting, it seems to disengage when revving it up, more investigation needed on that.

Cheers

John in Texas

EXCELLENT !

Check the ignition timing for the lack of pull - needs to be 1,2mm BTDC for a CDI

> John Ebert Wrote:

> It lives! After throwing way to much money at the problem I have it

> running. With a new CDI unit and a Delarto carb it has come back to

> life. The first time in 56 years or there and about.

>

> Thank you all for your help and insight. Got a little more to do before

> it is back on the road. It runs but doesn't want to pull with me

> onboard. Going to check the free wheel setting, it seems to disengage

> when revving it up, more investigation needed on that.

>

> Cheers

>

> John in Texas

Are you sure your belt is not too loose; TBH surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. If you are using the original belt, it might be too worn/stretched to grab the variator enough to turn the engine over - this is super common of original bikes.

The original belt was pretty much a limp rag and was one of the first things I replaced.

I will look at the timing again. I'm getting way to good at messing with it. Good thing I bought the proper tools to do it though.

Again, thanks for the help.

John in Texas

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account