Moby 50V shorted out

The other night riding my Moby, my decomp cable snapped at the cylinder. I reached down to movie it out of the way while the bike was still running and got shocked/zapped. I thought I touched the spark plug the wrong way or something, but the lights went out and I lost all power. Now I'm having trouble starting the bike, when it does, I can only get 7mph tops and it doesn't go on full throttle. Did I short the Ignition coil somehow? The tail light does work but it's extremely dim at higher rpms when I can get it to rev up. If the headlight blew, could this cause an electrical issue? A bad light doesn't usually cause this problem... I'm going to replace the stock 40yo coil and see if that fixes it, but other than that I have no idea what happened. Ran like a charm beforehand

Re: Moby 50V shorted out

I had a similar experience when my Novi coil shit out...I diddnt lose lights tho....

Did your ground strap break?

All wires are still connected.

Nice, I'll see if the coil replacement fixes it

I'd second the ground strap, trace it down if the coil doesn't help.

YEP - bonding strap from hell likely was already kaput and your decomp was the ground for the frame. Make a new strap and attach one end to one of your intake studs, the other end attach to the lower mounting stud for the external ignition coil.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account