Motomarina Sebring (1987) wheel bearings and more

Hey all,

Am i correct in assuming my super low mileage Sebring LTD M1 has unsealed wheel bearings? When I roll to a stop I can feel a slight tugging / dragging that I'm certain is coming from the rear wheel. The moped sat for a number of years so I'm assuming whatever grease was in there is a bit gummed up by now. Is there an easy way to convert these to sealed bearing? Going to enjoy the bike as is for the remainder of the year and give it a complete overhaul over the winter.

Currently hitting around 35mph with stock gearing (13x32?), 14mm morini intake, upgraded reeds, mlm sidebleed pipe, SHA 14.12 with a 65 jet, SHA black cap air filter, and blue clutch springs

Hoping the above along with cleaning up the wheels will push me a bit closer to a reliable 40mph

Thanks all!

Andrew

Re: Motomarina Sebring (1987) wheel bearings and more

Yeah they’re most likely unsealed, 5mph is asking a lot for swapping wheel bearings alone, but who knows. It’s a good rule of thumb to replace old/failing bearings before riding a bike too much, high potential for failure and seizing up your wheel.

The rear wheel bearings on a sebring are loose ball and cup type. Conversion to sealed is highly recommended as these do fail every once in a while, usually due to the outer race(cup) splitting,or a ball cracking. Been there.suffered THAT!

I've never had a front one fail though, just the rear.(edited)

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The rear wheel bearings on a sebring are loose ball and cup type.

> Conversion to sealed is highly recommended as these do fail every once

> in a while, usually due to the outer race(cup) splitting,or a ball

> cracking. Been there.suffered THAT!

>

> I've never had a front one fail though, just the rear.

Hey Don,

I definitely dont want thathat happening to me. are you aware of any sealed bearing conversion kits? I have the acorn style wheels

Thanks

> tom toczek Wrote:

> Yeah they’re most likely unsealed, 5mph is asking a lot for swapping

> wheel bearings alone, but who knows. It’s a good rule of thumb to

> replace old/failing bearings before riding a bike too much, high

> potential for failure and seizing up your wheel.

Worth a shot but definitely good preventative maintenance. Thanks!

No, I've never done a kit, but you can get the correct O.D and I.D bearings and a sleeve of proper length between them as a strong spacer between the inner races.

Measure for sure,cause Sebrings had some different wheels.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> No, I've never done a kit, but you can get the correct O.D and I.D

> bearings and a sleeve of proper length between them as a strong spacer

> between the inner races.

>

> Measure for sure,cause Sebrings had some different wheels.

Hey Don,

According to treats these are the correct size but they are out of stock on the axle reducers. I'll shop around once I take the wheel off and measure everything as you said.

Thanks!

Andrew

You're welcome!

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> You're welcome!

Forgot to include the link before. Hope these are the right ones!

https://www.treatland.tv/sealed-wheel-bearing-MAGIC-for-35mm-ID-12mm-p/sealed-bearing-magic.htm

> Andrew B Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You're welcome!

>

> Forgot to include the link before. Hope these are the right ones!

>

> https://www.treatland.tv/sealed-wheel-bearing-MAGIC-for-35mm-ID-12mm-p/sealed-bearing-magic.htm

You gotta measure everything...…...that looks too generic. You can cut your own center spacer, but the O.D. of the bearing must fit perfectly. Get you inside and outside measurements down pat. The spacer must be very strong.

Do some searches on here as this has been discussed many times.

I’m pretty sure I used 6201 bearings in my acorn wheels. You will need a very long center spacer, longer than any of the ones treats has. I cut mine out of steel conduit with a pipe cutter. Also some other spacers to get the wheel in there centered and to space the brake plate out and not drag on the hub.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> I’m pretty sure I used 6201 bearings in my acorn wheels. You will need a

> very long center spacer, longer than any of the ones treats has. I cut

> mine out of steel conduit with a pipe cutter. Also some other spacers to

> get the wheel in there centered and to space the brake plate out and not

> drag on the hub.

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to bookmark those for the future. I'll also look into securing some 11mm / 12mm conduit. I'm sure I can find something online or at home depot once I know what length I need. I would ideally like to find an axle / bearing reducer so I could run a 12mm or 15mm ID (inside diameter) bearing on an 11mm axle. That would definitely help with not having to drill the plate plates. Not looking to the winter as we can't ride as much but I am looking forward to taking the wheel apart to see what it takes to work. If you ever figure out how long the center spacer is on yours please let me know!

Thanks!

Andrew

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account