PHBG not delivering gas to the cylinder?

New here just recently bought a sweet puch maxi

Asking for Thoughts and Prayers y'all

I have a PHBG dellorto and died riding it, sounded like lost of compression or possibly not engaging the clutch so popped it open and have replaced my piston (chunck of the crown missing) new 3 foot clutch (1 of the old 2 foot pad was cracking off) so was thinking this mixture was the cause, now I think it was running fine with those issues and have narrowed it to the carb. I can pour gas into the reedblock and get it to run for a second.

I fully disassembled and cleaned out jet/atomizer 3x, Gas is getting to the bowl but when I twist throttle it doesn't look like gas is spraying. (not sure if that is what I should see on these carbs this is what I am used to seeing on a motorcycle carb) I noted there doesn't look to be an accelerator pump on these carbs so not sure what would cause a lack of gas getting from bowl to the reedblock... or curious if this may be a base setting for these carbs to get it started and tuning? Online research has been no help just tuning while its running which would be great if I could get there...

Re: PHBG not delivering gas to the cylinder?

Overpriced Parts /

What moped, what kit, what pipe, what filter? What anything ?

Apologies didn't think you'd need all of that considering the diagnostics I had run...

upgrades are as follows to my knowledge, I was given limited info when I bought it but fairly certain this is all correct. they upgraded with the 64cc kit from treatland about 10 years ago

78 Puch Maxi

malossi PHBG 90 air filter E8

Polini 64cc cylinder kit

puch tecno CHROME BOSS performance pipe

Dellorto Carb tuning manual :

http://www.iwt.com.au/private/Dellorto manual.pdf

Id look at the floats and valve real close.

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dellorto Carb tuning manual :

>

> http://www.iwt.com.au/private/Dellorto manual.pdf

Copy & paste that^ entire link as is , including the space and manual.pdf , into your address bar .

Probably blew a flyside crank seal. Won't pull gas into combustion chamber from carb,just air from outside.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Probably blew a flyside crank seal. Won't pull gas into combustion

> chamber from carb,just air from outside.

@don if this was the case would the motor still fire up when/if you put gas straight into the reedblock I wouldnt think so but? any possible diagnostics I can run to see if that is the issue I'm assuming pulling the electronics and looking...

> Brandon Hirata Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Probably blew a flyside crank seal. Won't pull gas into combustion

>

> > chamber from carb,just air from outside.

>

> @don if this was the case would the motor still fire up when/if you put

> gas straight into the reedblock I wouldnt think so but? any possible

> diagnostics I can run to see if that is the issue I'm assuming pulling

> the electronics and looking...

It'd fire but not continue when the fumes were spent.

Thank you! I couldn't find this the only one I found was a dead link

ok so these motors need the pressure from the motor to vacuum up all that gas... I'll look into it and update.

Wnen a crank seal under the magneto blows, it sounds just like you killed the switch at road speed. Dead.

I opened it up it looks good still I would think you'd see fluid seeping out? it was relatively clean in there...

IMG_6601.JPG

No,the fuid is on the trans side. That seal keeps air from leaking in to combustion so it will pull thru carb.Replace the seal while yer in there. Never go by how it looks.(edited)

swapped, looks like same issue is persisting. No gas getting up from the bowl to the reedblock, I can pour gas directly into the carb throat and it'll start up.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Did you hone your cylinder, purchase the correct letter size piston and gap your rings. I bet your have bad compression

anytime u see oil residue( looking wet )on magneto side behind stator plate or area that means the seal is bad. theup stroke on a two stroke sucks in gas into the case/crank area. retorque head.

So I pulled the whole top end again, because I retested and SAW some spit from a blown (brand new) base gasket. Cut a new one, retorqued and she's off. I think it was low compression from the air leak/gasket not sealing properly

break in time, Appreciate all the help everyone!(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account