Tomos a35 home made base gasket problem. Need help plz?

Tomos stock a35. Had to make a gasket so i cut to form cereal box for a base gasket. Decided to use 2 because seemed like 1 was too thin. Now runs different and idle doesn't change much when i adjust it. Could cylinder be leaking???

Re: Tomos a35 home made base gasket problem. Need help plz?

Use gasket material from the auto parts store. It could be your carb isn’t all the way on the intake or it’s leaking at the clamp too. Easy way to find the leak is while it’s running squirt various places, base of cylinder, intake manifold, carb clamp, etc with brake or carb cleaner and if it stalls when sprayed there is your leak.

Thanks ill try that.

Carb cleaner eats rubber type pieces .

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Actually the exact thickness matters because when you did that you physically move the cylinder up so it changed your timing and it ran like crap now if you take a little bit of yamabond or something similar and just put a thin layer of like purple Permatex or some such hi temp gasket maker slap it together and if it was always Factory timing it will run like a bat out of hell but watch your cylinder temperature if the cylinder gets too hot you're too far advanced if your pipe gets too hot you're too retarded you'll find out that when your advanced you'll go faster but if you're retarded you'll go up hills better so you have to find a happy medium and don't fry your cylinder or get your pipe so hot it falls off because it melted

Its sounding different. Runs strong but sounds strange. I didn't cut the 2 gaskets great either they looked crappy. The engine runs strange and turning the idle it takes forever to react. So i must have messed with timing. Usually it has a 1mm gasket from treats. I was flat broke now im pissed off having to deal with it. Just sounds diffrent and gets hotter than usual but what is strange last night when i shit it off i watched a bit of smoke or steam come out of the carb.

Slew i didn't hurt my bike did i?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Your homemade gasket leaks air into the cylinder that's why it acts that way unless you seized it it's okay

Look on Moped Wiki and you can find Diy printable gaskets.

Get a sheet of felpro paper to cut your own gaskets out of, any auto parts store should have it. I like the dark gray rubber/fiber type. The factory a35 base gasket is quite thin, and the transfer ports aren't fully open at BDC from the factory. There may be some improvement to be make by raising the cylinder slightly, however this also lowers the piston at TDC so you're reducing the compression at the same time.

That sucks

A bit lower compression isn't always a bad thing .

A good way to cut a clean gasket is place gasket material over the part if you have room ..then tap around with a small ball peen hammer..then use a pipe ferrel close to the screw or bolt size to cut the hole openings..if you cant keep the naterial in place tap and cut a couple of holes oposite each other and screw the material to the part to hold it in place then tap out your impression ..some times you can cut the gasket completly out by tapping it but sometimes use a scissors to follow the impression ...some may already know this and some might not..it has worked well for me for a lot of years

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A good way to cut a clean gasket is place gasket material over the part

> if you have room ..then tap around with a small ball peen hammer..then

> use a pipe ferrel close to the screw or bolt size to cut the hole

> openings..if you cant keep the naterial in place tap and cut a couple of

> holes oposite each other and screw the material to the part to hold it

> in place then tap out your impression ..some times you can cut the

> gasket completly out by tapping it but sometimes use a scissors to

> follow the impression ...some may already know this and some might

> not..it has worked well for me for a lot of years

Old school still rulz. I remember my father showing that way back when everything was black&white and all sound was in mono.

Seems plausible! And that is how i made 2 gaskets yesterday. I put card board over the cylinder and took a ratchet and tapped the edges and it put a good enough impression to cut out home mades. She runs good must have not threw it off time because its not getting hot and runs like it use too. Thanks man

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Pops Peds Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > A good way to cut a clean gasket is place gasket material over the

> part

>

> > if you have room ..then tap around with a small ball peen hammer..then

>

> > use a pipe ferrel close to the screw or bolt size to cut the hole

>

> > openings..if you cant keep the naterial in place tap and cut a couple

> of

>

> > holes oposite each other and screw the material to the part to hold it

>

> > in place then tap out your impression ..some times you can cut the

>

> > gasket completly out by tapping it but sometimes use a scissors to

>

> > follow the impression ...some may already know this and some might

>

> > not..it has worked well for me for a lot of years

>

> Old school still rulz. I remember my father showing that way back when

> everything was black&white and all sound was in mono.

We didn't have computers and lazer cutters back when i grew up..you would need a 18 wheeler to pull your lap top around back then ..i was told we had computers ,never saw one butwas said they were as large as most houses.you had to work with what you had back then and use your head in a lot of cases

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account