Blew out the lights!!!

So I was riding my 1980 kitted Puch Maxi earlier tonight doing about 45 mph and all of a sudden BOOM! I blew the headlight, speedo light, and even the goddamn tail light. I told my girlfriend what happened and she thinks the stator put out too much voltage because of very high RPMs thus blowing the 6 volt bulbs. Going to order new ones from treats. She said not to operate the Puch at speeds above 35 mph at night in order to keep the voltage down. Is this true?(edited)

Re: Blew out the lights!!!

Isn't there supposed to be some kind of voltage regulater built into these things??

Yes!

Overpriced Parts /

Depending on year but if stock 1980 6 wire Stator it self excites and self regulates itself as long as you use the correct wattage bulbs,

if you do not use the correct wattage bulbs yeah you can start blowing something, (21w head light, .5w speedo, 10w brake light and 5w tail light,)

BFF26822-5D19-4A27-80F1-57B6DB984289.jpeg

If someone modified it hardwired it or anything else like putting all the lights on one coil yeah you could blow some stuff, you should have a 21 W coil, a 10 W coil, a 5 W coil, and a ignition coil,

The air gap has to be in specs too,

2185E6C3-3471-4152-B2D6-5DA649F4AB1A.jpeg

I run several 55 mph kitted bikes and occasionally one of my bikes tail light burns out, but that only happened like twice in 10 years and I found a 7w bulb that didn’t blow or make any of the other bulbs blow,

I had a problem with the headlight blowing out on a magnum do to tip of the bulb solder melting but cleaning the contact and putting another blob of solder on the bulb and it worked fine

Overpriced Parts /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes!

Nope your wrong don See above post^

I had/worked on over 100 Puchs from 1977-1982 and none had a regulator!

Like stated above, its self regulating by using correct wattage and wiring(edited)

Yep I checked and all the bulbs were the wrong wattage. The PO musta switched them out. The stator is stock original. Wrong wattage headlight, tail, etc. I ordered the correct bulbs that come with the bike from treats. You guys were right. Thanks!!!

Bad Cadillac™ /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Yes!

No!

> Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Yes!

>

> No!

maybe or not

I've noticed with my E50 that blows lights when I whined it up. I think it starts putting out more bolts/ amps then the bulbs can deal with.

Overpriced Parts /

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> I've noticed with my E50 that blows lights when I whined it up. I think

> it starts putting out more bolts/ amps then the bulbs can deal with.

Yeah you’re wrong! you must have something you’re doing wrong !

look up the airgap and the correct voltage bulbs! I went 63 mph many times and never blew out anything but I run OEM parts (including German bulbs) not aftermarket nothin!

Update: I installed the correct bulbs the bike comes with from treats and even after topping out my kit the lights are still working. No more blown bulbs :)

Output definitely scales with rpm, so going faster makes more power and can blow bulbs. Proper bulbs should have enough to still handle, but a volt regulator is an easy safety net. Put in a volt reg

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Output definitely scales with rpm, so going faster makes more power and

> can blow bulbs. Proper bulbs should have enough to still handle, but a

> volt regulator is an easy safety net. Put in a volt reg

3 regulators ? Will your a hard wirer (as well as most of your crew are ha ha) you guys put everything on the one coil and use whatever wire you got laying around on your builds so you don’t know,

On those years the 6 wire Stator with 3 lighting coils, stock harness, same gauge wire with all those brown ground wires, normally closed brake switches and proper watts bulbs is the regulator,

The absolute best ignition-magneto system of any moped ever made, tail lights or any light can burn out and you don’t lose spark like a lot of bikes with no regulator or resistor to worry about either,

You would need 3 regulators, possibly some resistors too,

You would need to hack everything up, isolate each circuit, put 3 regulators in, change brake switches to normally open and I don’t think the coils would be able to excite each other after that either,

I got kitted bikes that have 40-year-old bulbs in them, ya they burn out occasionally but most times is because the connection to one bulb is corroded (mostly headlight)

So if you catch it right away (by seeing speedo bulb get real bright) and shut the headlight switch off you could save the speedo bulb, clean the connection and put new bulb in,

But if taillight goes out headlight most times is ok,

Basically what burns out the most on puch kitted bike is the taillight especially if you don’t have the airgap just perfect to the taillight coil and use aftermarket bulbs,

Walmart used to sell a 6v 7w lightbulb that would remedy that situation,

Don’t turn on your headlight if you found it was off while going at full speed and hi rpm because it could burn it out head and taillight from hi unregulated voltage so wait until you stop/idle before turning it on,

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account