High Transmission(?) Resistance (Honda NC50)

Now that I got my bike running good, I’m squeezing all performance I can out of stock. One thing I noticed is how stiff the rear wheel seems to spin. It’s hard to illustrate, but I can spin it with one finger, (with about half finger strength).

1. How stiff should I expect the rear wheel to spin (while disengaged from engine)?

2. Any common remedies? (Besides hitting the spline bearing with WD)

Re: High Transmission(?) Resistance (Honda NC50)

Wd 40 is not for lubricating bearings. Try backing off your rear brake and see if it helps, bit exactly one half finger strength doesnt sound that far out of whack. You can always biy ceramic wheel bearings if rolling resistance is your pet peve

Ok thanks! That much resistance feels wasteful, but if it’s in spec I can live with that.

> Zennon Krebsbach Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Now that I got my bike running good, I’m squeezing all performance I

> can out of stock. One thing I noticed is how stiff the rear wheel seems

> to spin. It’s hard to illustrate, but I can spin it with one finger,

> (with about half finger strength).

>

> 1. How stiff should I expect the rear wheel to spin (while disengaged

> from engine)?

>

> 2. Any common remedies? (Besides hitting the spline bearing with WD)

The spline is for attaching the wheel. No lube on splines will help. Did you replace the seal and bearing on the spline shaft? Keep in mind you are spinning all sorts of gears, sprockets and chains inside the transmission without ever engaging the motor.(edited)

No replacement. Just popped the seal off, hit it with chain lube and popped it back on.

The bearing you sprayed gets its lube from inside of the transmission. If that seal you removed leaks it will let oil into brake assembly.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account