Re: 1980 General 5-Star w. V1: General Unreliability

jeff c /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Thanks for your replies, here's an update - worked with a very knowledgable friend who helped tremendously, was able to cross some things off the list.

- Performed a spray test with starter fluid, didn't get any evidence of appreciable air leak.

- Does not seem to be debris in fuel line, inside of tank is shiny and in really good shape.

- Replaced previous spark plug with NGK iridium resistor plug.

- Went up from 38 to 45 for my starter jet, went down from 75 to 72 for my main jet, seemed to smooth out the power band a bit, idling better but still stalling out.

Friend suspected the clutch as the problem - seemed to always engage at idle, so bought new springs to replace old ones. Drained the case and noticed there was barely a tablespoon of oil in there, viscous and black and in rough shape. Clutch pads were passable but pretty worn. I switched out the stock springs for red Malossi's, which ended up being way too stiff of course (should have listened to peoples' warnings).

Ordered the Rogue Raw springs and new clutch pads, hoping those and fresh oil will sort out my stalling issue.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account